Chapter 3

When I reached my apartment, I was surprised to find Josh there who got up and greeted me with a crushing hug and a kiss.

Somehow the kiss felt different though. Like something had shifted. Whether it was in him or in me I wasn't sure, but something was definitely different.

I found myself waiting for the kiss to be over whereas last night, with Castle, I didn't want it to end.

This wasn't right!

Castle wasn't my boyfriend!

Josh was. And I shouldn't be thinking of Castle in comparison to Josh!

What is wrong with me?!

"I missed you last night. Where were you?" He asked, smiling down at me.

"I was..." What could I tell him? That I was with Castle and he was so upset he asked me to kiss him and then asked me to sleep over?

I don't think so.

"I was at work till late last night. I stayed there and crashed on the break room couch."

"Rough day?" He asked.

"More that you can imagine." I replied sarcastically.

"Well, I hope that it gets better because I would like you home tonight if I could. I've got a long day today and I would like to spend some time with you."

"Alright, well let me go have a shower and get ready for work and I'll let you know as the day goes on." I told him as I tapped him on the chest and made my way out of his embrace, making my way towards the bathroom.

"Can I come?" He asked with a cheeky smile. Somehow the cheeky smile didn't seem to suit his face the same way it did Castle's. I shook my head to get rid of the thought and to answer his question. "Maybe another time. I have to get ready or I'm going to be late." I told him.

"Oh..." He replied, his head hanging slightly. "Alright then, I should get to work too. There is a huge list of patients today so... I'll see you tonight?" He asked as he opened the door and looked back at me for conformation.

"Yeah, see you tonight."

When I got out of the shower, clothed and rubbing my hair with my towel, I collected my gun, badge, keys, and handbag and headed out the door to face work and most likely Castle in one go.

When I got to work, I was slightly confused when I saw the seat next to my desk empty.

"You guys seen Castle this morning?" I asked the boys. Ryan turned around with his phone still attached to his ear and shook his head. I looked over to Esposito who was leaning against the doorframe of the break room with a mug of coffee in his hands and watched him shake his head 'no'. He then beckoned me into the room, walking into the quieter space. With a raised eyebrow in at the gesture, I followed him into the room and was confronted by the sombre look on his face as he turned around to look at me.

"Castle's not coming back." He told me. I stared back at him, my mouth agape in pure shock.

"W-What?"

"He called the Captain this morning and told him that he wasn't coming back for a while. He told him that he needed some time and told him to tell us thanks for letting him tag along. And that he'll miss us." I staggered over to the couch and sat down, my face still not able to create an expression through the shock. "I don't know how to tell Ryan." Esposito continued, pretending not to notice my current expression and my reaction.

"D-did he say anything else?" I asked carefully, looking up at him expectantly, waiting for him to tell me.

"Not that I know of." He replied, the look on his face was of utter confusion at my sudden question and probably my reaction as well.

I stood back up and walked over to Montgomery's office and barged in, slamming my hands down on the desk.

"What the hell is this? Where is Castle?" I all but screamed. I glared at the Captain and saw a flicker of confusion wash over his face before it was replaced by understanding.

"I take it someone told you then."

"What the hell is this! He doesn't have the balls to come and tell it to my face? What was his excuse this time?" I asked, pacing back and forth impatiently as I tried to get my thoughts in order.

"He said he needed some time to sort some things out. He didn't say whether or not he would be back or not but..."

"But what?" I snapped mid step.

"He sounded not like himself. He didn't have the usual life to his voice. It was almost like there was no life in him anymore."

I walked right out of his office and straight back to my desk to pick up my phone. I immediately began dialling Castle's number. I waited for him to pick up before yelling at him.

"What the hell is wrong with you?"

"I could ask you the same thing." He shot back.

"What are you taking about?" I asked, my tone shifting slightly.

"How could you leave me like that. Are you really that scared?"

"You told me I could go home the next morning." I shot back.

"I didn't mean straight away!"

There was silence across the line as we both tried to catch our breath from our screaming match over the phone.

"Look, Castle... I'm sorry."

"I know you are. I heard you leave." He replied gentler.

I couldn't even think of a reply to that one.

"Are you going to come in or do I have to drag your sorry butt out here?" I asked, trying to re instil some sense of our kind of normalcy.

"Not today." He replied.

"When then?" I asked.

"I'll let you know." He told me and then the line went dead.