Chapter 22

Today was the most dreaded day of my life.

Josh's attempted murder trial.

As I walked up the court house steps, Castle holding my hand tightly in his, I could feel my whole body shaking with nerves. Normally I was strong and confident in the court house, unfazed by the judging eyes of the jurors or the lawyers. But today, I was terrified. If it weren't for Castle, I probably would have fallen over, my legs were that shaky.

"Kate. Stop for a second." Castle said, stopping just a few steps shy of being at the courthouse entrance. "Babe, are you sure this is a good idea?" He looked at me anxiously, his hand immediately gravitating to my belly, his thumb rubbing up and down over the swollen surface.

I was now two months pregnant and I had the comfort of Castle knowing, since I told him only a few days after Lanie gave me the results, unable to keep it from him any longer.

I was anxiously pacing around the room while Castle sat on the couch, his eyes following me as I walked back and forth.

"Castle, I have to tell you something." Castle sat quietly and waited for me to continue. "But with everything that's been going on in our lives these past few months, I don't know if it's the best time..."

"Kate." I snapped my head to him, seeing him smile gently at me.

"Right." I took a deep breath and tried to slow my racing heart. "Rick, I'm pregnant."

"I know." He smiled.

"What do you mean 'you know'?" I turned and stared at him.

"Kate." He chuckled, standing up from the couch to walk over to me. "I've known you for years. You think that I would't notice you've stopped drinking coffee. I've had a pregnant Meredith, I know the symptoms. And you really think I didn't notice your baby belly?"

"Well, if you knew, why didn't you say anything?"

"I knew you would tell me when you were ready."

"So you're not mad?"

"Of course not. Why did you think I sent you to see Lanie?" He smirked, brushing my hair out of my face, placing a sweet kiss on my forehead.

"We're gonna have a baby." I smiled, wrapping my arms around him, resting my cheek against his chest. Castle's hand drifted down to my growing belly.

"Yeah." He whispered softly, rubbing his thumb up and down over her belly. "We are." He smiled, lowering his head to place his lips over mine. "I love you Kate."

"I love you too, Rick." I smiled lovingly back, moving back in to place my lips back to his.

"Rick, it's gonna be fine. I just have answer some questions and then he will be going to jail."

"I just have a bad feeling about this." He grumbled, pulling me into his chest, wrapping his arms protectively around me. "We can just go back home and..."

"Castle," I pulled away to look him firmly in the eyes. "I have to give my first hand account of what happened. I need to be here. I can't let there be a chance that he won't get locked away." I explained, gently cupping his cheek, feeling him lean into it and place a gentle kiss on my palm.

"Alright. But if I don't like the look of things, I'm taking you home. No questions asked." He told me firmly. I simply rolled my eyes at his antics, leaning in a placing a soothing kiss on his tight mouth. Running my hand down his arm, I took his hand in mine, interlacing our fingers before I continued up the steps, Castle trailing behind me.