Chapter Six

They continued walking home with each other, it was currently a week after Ly went to her house. Now they were walking home, talking as usual, they reached the part of the road where Ly turned down another street. He told Cass goodbye as he walked down the street.

He dreaded going home but he never showed it. He felt he had no need to show it, he arrived at home. He walked inside and kicked off his shoes near the door placing them neatly next to his siblings shoes. He took off his rugged coat and as he looked up he saw her.

"How was school?" She chirped, he muttered a quick good before starting to walk toward the living room. Before he could take another step she grabbed him by the throat, "So, who's this girl you've been talking to all of the sudden?" She hissed, he struggled trying to pry away from her grip but he couldn't.

"Just- a- friend-" he struggled to speak, she threw him to the ground, and started kicking him, he could feel bruises being left wherever he was hit. This went on for about ten minutes before she pulled him to his feet again. She punched him in the face, her jewellery leaving a large cut right under his eye, his nose bleeding.

Right as he covered his eye she punched him in the jaw with full force. He fell to his knees and spat out a ton of blood, in the pool of blood was a tooth and the sight of it made his stomach drop. She grabbed his hand and slit his palm open with her long, fake nail. "Please, try not to make friends, it's for the best Lyle." She said before walking off, he wanted to cry but he didn't, he always cried over small things but never anything major.

As he kneeled bleeding out he remembered Cass, her telling him that if he ever needed to get away from his step mom he could go to her house. He took her advice and immediately put his shoes on, leaving his coat because he didn't feel he needed it. He snuck out the back door and ran, he ran as fast as he could to her not stopping or anything.

Upon arrival he knocked on the front door, she opened it and immediately gasped as she saw him. "What happened to you?" She tried to stay calm so he wouldn't panic as well. He struggled to speak as she let him walk inside, he burst into tears, the tears burning as they hit the cut under his eye.

"Here just come sit down I'll bandage you up." She said he followed her and she had him sit down on the kitchen counter top. "I'm glad you came here, it's nice to be able to help you." She pushed her long hair back as she cleaned the blood off him and bandaged him. She finished it off by wrapping his hand in ace bandage.

"Don't pick up anything dirty ok? I don't want this bandage to fall off because hands are important and getting them infected is bad." He nodded as she helped him off the counter. Right as he was safely on the ground he hugged her, "th-ank... you...." He said, she hugged him lightly so she didn't hurt him.

He stayed there for about an hour before heading back home, she didn't realise that the abuse was to this extent and now she was worried. His step-mom could kill him and Cass had no way of fully preventing it. She did decide on one thing that day, that no matter what she was going to at least try to keep him from dying.