Chapter Ten

He woke up to the sound of machines and talking, he rubbed his eyes and looked around at what appeared to be a room. He quickly sat upwards realizing he was in a hospital room, Porter and his older sister Ginger sat on one side of him while his younger sister Lily sat on the other side.

He opened his mouth to speak but before he could get a word out Porter spoke, "He's awake! Ly I know your confused so I'll explain but you don't have to say a word, I'm aware that it's really straining for you to speak." He smiled and Ly laid back as Porter started to explain.

"Well after...mom...beat you, you were unconscious for quite awhile. I got worried and took you here, which I'm glad I did because you were bleeding internally which they stopped." Porter leaned back and continued, "I just want you to know that your safe now, Ly." He smiled and Ly nodded.

They stayed for a couple of hours that morning until they all went home, he now laid looking at the ceiling and window until a nurse dropped by, asking if he was feeling ok, all he did was nod which cause a slight panic for her, "You can speak right?" She asked and he tried to speak but the right words wouldn't come out and it ended up with him just mumbling gibberish in response.

The nurse started talking to the other doctors and they all agreed to take him to the mental ward which they did. Now it reached night and he was terrified, he was now at the back end of a hospital and specifically in the mental ward.

He stayed up all night, the person in one room next to him was yelling all night and the other room next to his was only laughter. He was shaking a bit out of fear and an overwhelming sense of anxiety, he wanted to go home but at the same time hoped he would die there.

Minutes inched into hours and as he tried to fall asleep he heard a familiar voice, "Ly?" He sat up and saw her. It was Cass, and she looked worried, "Why are you in a mental ward at a hospital?" She asked and he looked down trying to gather his words, he tries to speak but his words were incomprehensible so he took a piece of paper from the table near his bed and Cass handed him a pen from her book bag.

He began writing a long explanation, including why he could barely speak and he also admitting to being mentally unstable but not extremely unstable. She read it and hugged him, he flinched a little due to the reflex he gained from the abuse, but he hugged her back smiling sheepishly.

"I brought you food if you want it, do you want it?" She asked taking a small canister of soup and a roll out of her lunchbox. He nodded and as she gave him the canister, roll, and plastic utensil he started eating immediately. She decided to only ask him yes or no questions so he could nod or shake his head.

"So are you leaving the hospital tomorrow?" She asked, he paused eating the chicken noodle soup, downing a few more noodles and then nodding before continuing eating. She smiled and was glad he was going to be back.

He finished up eating so she put her canister and roll back while giving him a larger than average eclair that he nodded in thanks at the sight of it. As he ate that she asked one more question, sobering the tone a bit. "Ly, are you... Scared...?" She asked, he paused and nodded slightly, taking a second before continuing his eclair.

"You know I could tell someone about her right?" She asked, he shook his head and let out a whimpered "...sh-e'll... Ki-ll m-e i-f yo-u d-o...." Which faded into gibberish again. He was now finished with his eclair and looked terrified, he cared about Cass a lot and didn't know if his step-mom was willing to hurt her or not.

"I won't but... Stay safe please... You're my best friend Ly. Get some rest ok?" She spoke softly as she fixed his hospital beds blankets before telling him goodbye and leaving, he fell asleep with ease and slept through the rest of the evening and the entire night.