Chapter Fifteen

The weeks went on, they talked to each other but they only saw each other outside of school when they were walking home. Now Cassie sat at home, working on her homework and looking outside every so often to look at the rain that fell harshly from the clouds. She worked silently, her sister was at a friends house, her dad was at work, and her brother was at debate.

Right as her pencil finished writing she heard a few knocks on the back door. She stood up and walked over to the door, opening it to see Ly standing in the doorway, his nose bleeding and his arms bruised. Blood ran from his forehead down his face, he was soaking wet due to the heavy downpour outside.

"What happened?" She asked, letting him walk inside. "A lot." He wiped the blood from his forehead onto his sleeve. She took a rag and wiped his face, tracing the source of the blood from his forehead to a gash which she bandaged. She got him a towel to dry off with, and sat next to him at the dining room table.

"A lot isn't a proper answer Ly." She narrowed her eyes at him and he shrugged.
"Well get-ting beaten did-n't sound ok so it w-as the next be-st thing." He unbuttoned the bottom buttons of his shirt and bandaged his abdomen, which happened to have a gash on it.

"Beaten by who?" She was quite honestly very worried, the two were both ten so she didn't expect it to be anyone other than his step-mother beating him.
"A variety of peo-ple Cass, first it was mother th-en I got jum-ped on my way to yo-ur grandmas. I found my-self in this neighborho-od and decided to stop b-y I guess."

He didn't look too ok, he looked like he could pass out at any moment and his almost shoulder length wet hair flopped over his face in a weary manner. She had him lay down on the couch, he read one of the books her brother had left on the table silently as she went to go get him some water and scissors to cut his hair.

When she had returned he was already finished with the first three chapters and diligently reading the fourth.
"By Jones Ly, I don't think I've ever met anyone who could read at that quickly of a pace."
"Eh I re-ad to pa-ss time, which means I re-ad a lot." He continued reading before noticing the scissors in her hands.

"What's with the sci-ssors?" He asked and she smiled.
"I'm gonna cut your hair if that's alright with you."
He looked a little shocked.
"I've ne-ver cut my hair and I do-n't plan on cut-ting it now." He sat up and she smiled.
"I'll cut my hair if you let me cut yours, it's completely harmless I promise."
He took a minute and then responded, "...fine."

She started off by taking her shoulder-blade level hair and cutting it all the way to just below her chin, he watched intently before allowing her to cut his hair to the point where it was out of his face and to an average length.

"See, you can see now ya know." She smiled and he smiled lightly.
"Tha-nk you." He rubbed the back of his neck before standing up.
"I'd bet-ter head home, se-e ya Cass." He now spoke softly to her and headed towards the door.
"Be careful." She slightly shouted toward him as she cleaned up.
"I wi-ll and again, tha-nk you for every-thing." He walked out and she sighed.

She thought about everything he had said had happened, and when she thought about him getting jumped she realised one thing. He had to of fought back or else he'd be half dead right now.