Chapter Seventeen

A moderate amount of time had passed, which lead to the day that perspective changed a little bit. It was the day before Christmas and Cass sat in her living room wrapping presents in the evening.

Her hands worked diligently as she looked up every so often to see the snow outside. She continued finishing up her work until she heard a knock on her back door. As she assumed it was Ly but there was something a little off about him.

He was wearing the coat she had made him and a scarf was wrapped around his neck and covered his mouth, he had tears streaming down his cheeks and his temples were bruised. He held his head in pain and his fingers looked as if they could get frostbite at any moment. He didn't look as strict or well composed as he always did now he just looked desperate and weary.

"Come inside, lay down on the couch I'll get you a few blankets." The first words that rolled off her tongue were quickly obeyed by him as he laid down and continued sobbing.

She covered him in two large blankets and put two pillows under his head.
"What happened this time-" She was cut off by him.
"I'm done."
"What do you mea-"
"I'm sick of th-is."
"Sick of wha-"
"Everything."
"Did she do anything...?"
"She slam-med me into a wa-ll and then thr-ew me outside, lock-ing me out there."

She felt bad as she flicked the tears off his cheeks with her thumb.
"You can stay here for as long as you want this time Ly." Her kind gaze fell upon his face and he stopped crying for a second before resuming.

"Re-ally?"
"Really." She smiled and he smiled weakly as he took his coat and scarf off before bundling back up in the blankets.

She talked to him for awhile, they discussed the upcoming holiday and well generally everything. As soon as he settled down he dozed off and fell asleep and Cass sat toward the end of the couch looking toward him.

Sometimes she had forgot they were just two kids. She forgot that he really couldn't go on like this, and at that moment something hit her. She was going to save his life no matter how long it took her. So right before she went to sleep she went to explain everything to her dad who was working in his home office and then headed off, feeling as confident that she could save him as she ever could.