Chapter thirty- two: Limits

"It's so nice having you guys in the studio!" Our interviewer, Grace, says happily.

"It's nice to be here!" Derek says for both of us.

The fans are still making noise from their seats in the crowd and every so often someone will scream "I love you!" and interrupt the interview. I don't mind and neither does Derek but you can tell Grace is aggravated.

"So we are expecting new music from you next week." Grace says looking at me.

"Yeah it's very exciting." I say as enthused as possible.

"Can we expect a tour?" She asks and I look to Derek.

"That could be in mix sometime down the line." He says and the fans cheer.

After another five minutes of small talk she gets into the interrogation.

"How are you and Maria?" Grace asks Derek.

Derek and Maria never talk about their relationship publicly and this is the first time I've ever watched Derek try to get out of a Maria question.

"You look lovely today." Derek says with a cheeky smile to try and distract Grace from the primary question.

"Do you tell Maria that?" She shoots back getting right on topic.

Derek shifts awkwardly next to me. "I tell you that." He responds and the crowd laughs.

"Mhm." Grace says with a fake attitude making me giggle a little. Then she turns her attention to me.

"So how have you been? You know with everything going on." She asks me cautiously.

"Surprisingly good. It's been easier to cope." I lie. It's still just as hard.

"I think we've all just been waiting to hear that you remember." She says and I nod. "Anyways what's the story with you and Mr. Jones?" She asks getting off of the emotional topic.

"I have to agree with Derek you look great!" I say and everyone laughs. It's surprising me how easy it is to pretend like everything is fine with Derek and I.

----------------------------------------------

"Do you have plans?" Jason asks me in the car on the way home after the interview.

"Yeah." I answer.

"With Wren?" Derek questions.

"Yup." I reply and watch Derek closely.

Why is he shifting like that in his seat? How could he be uncomfortable with me hanging with Wren? It's not a big deal.

"Can you be home by five?" He asks with a frustrated sigh.

"Yes." I shortly reply.

The rest of the ride to Derek's is short and quiet. No one says a word until we pull into the driveway.

"Five." Derek reminds me and I nod.

"I'll be on time." I say annoyed and start my short walk to the Jones'.

As I walk up their driveway I notice only one car in the driveway. Is Wren home alone? The thought comes but goes just as fast. They aren't leaving him alone.

"Hey!" Wren says happily when he answers the door after I ring the doorbell.

"Hey." I say and hug him right away. I can tell he was taken back by the action but he quickly wrapped his arms around my waist and hugged me back.

"Where is everyone?" I ask as Wren and I plop down onto the couch. It's incredibly quiet and usually Tori would be running at me. "Are they here?"

"No, we have the house to ourselves." He answers and my body goes cold.