Chapter thirty-four: Another Talk

We all sit around the table having easy conversations. Jason and Jake involved in one. Sydney, Maria and Derek in another. Then Paul and Megan snickering to each other.

Then there's me. Sitting alone not speaking to anyone. Derek really put me in a bad mood and I can't seem to get over it.

"The Jones' are coming over." Jason says looking up from his phone.

My heart leaps and suddenly I shake the bad mood I was in.

I catch Derek looking at me and I can see him frown as he notices my mood change.

"Great! I haven't seem them in forever." Sydney and Jake say excitedly.

I wait in science until I hear a knock on the door and watch as Derek answers it.

"Hey guys!" He says with a genuine smile.

"Hey man." Will says and lightly hits Derek on the shoulder before entering the house.

Tori and Jackie follow behind each receiving a kiss on the cheek from Derek.

And then there's Wren, Derek hardly looks at him.

"Tough crowd." Wren whispers as he takes a seat next to me at the table.

I let out a small laugh at his remark and earn a glare from Derek.

Tori sits on my opposite side

"Mom?" Megan's voice rings and suddenly all eyes are diverted to her.

"Yes?" Sydney asks.

"Can we have ice cream?" She asks with wide hopeful eyes.

"I'm sorry, I don't think I have any." Derek says and Paul and Megan's shoulders slump.

"But we want some." Paul adorably whines.

"Danielle and I can make a trip." Wren suggests and I smile at him.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah." Paul and Megan chant together.

"I don't think that-"

"Sure!" Sydney cuts Derek off with no remorse. "You can take my car, just be careful."

"But Wren only has his permit." Derek protests.

"Ah, big deal. If anything they'll slap him with a fine." Will says reassuringly.

"Alright let's go." Wren says and stands up.

"What kind do you want us to get?" I ask Paul and Megan.

"Chocolate!" They both yell.

"Chocolate it is." I smile and follow Wren out the door.

"Derek officially hates me." Wren sighs as we pull out of the driveway.

"That's not true. He's just worried." I say unsure myself.

"No, it's okay. He really hates me. I don't blame him."

Not this again. I don't want wren blaming himself over whatever happened.

"Can you tell me?" I ask with a shred of hope.

Wren just shakes his head and focuses on the road. Of course he can't. I let out a frustrated sigh and lay my head back on the seat of the car.

"I'm sorry." Wren whispers and reaches over the dash to take my hand in his.

"It's alright, it's just annoying." I tell him and he nods.

"You know we never did get to finish our conversation." He points out.