Chapter thirty six: She Can't Remember

I shiver lightly as I walk from Wrens house to Derek's. I'm preparing myself for the storm that is about to appear.

Derek is going to make me start talking now I know it. He probably thinks I'm lashing out because of whatever is going on. But I'm not even lashing out. It just seems that way.

Wren and I didn't even get a chance to talk and I never got to hear what he had to say about my Derek theory. I don't see how I'm going to put it off this time around.

Honesty?

I could always tell Derek straight up that I needed to talk to Wren before I talked to him.

Nah. He would just push or become angry that I'm going to Wren before him.

I just need a little longer.

I take a deep breath as I turn the doorknob and let myself into the house.

"I can't believe you!" Derek yells loud enough to freak me out but quiet enough to not wake anyone.

Derek is accompanied by Maria who looks sympathetic.

"I'm sorry." I lamely apologize and he starts yelling more.

"You snuck out to see Wren? Are you doing this just to make me angry?" He asks.

"No, I just needed to talk to him." I fight back not wanting to take his accusations.

"What's going on with you?" He asks with a much quieter voice that almost sounds sad.

"Listen Derek, I really don't want to talk about it right now."

"No, I'm not taking that this time. You're going to sit down and tell me everything." He says like it's no question.

"No." I say not knowing what other road to take.

"It's not an option." He says as his tall figure towers over me.

"Just give me a little more time." I beg fervently.

"You've had a bough time. I can't deal with this any longer."

"Derek." I sigh. "I'm not going to talk about it now. Give me until I talk to Wren, please. Then we can sit down and I'll tell you everything."

"Talk to Wren?" He questions.

"I just need him to clear things up before I go to you." I explain and Derek looks sadder than I've ever seen him.

"Before all of this happened you would always come to me first." He whispers.

I just stand there looking at him. My hate for him has diminished a little and I feel bad about what I've put him through. I just need to figure out what happened before things can go back to how they were.

At my lack of answer he turns on his heels and goes upstairs. Leaving me with Maria.

"He can't take it much longer." Maria tells me.

"I know, he won't have to either."

"What do you need Wren to explain?" She questions and I shake my head.

"It doesn't matter." I say and walk past her to go upstairs.

I hear her sigh from behind me but I ignore it and keep walking.

I close the door behind me as I walk into my room. I quickly change into different clothes and crawl into bed suddenly exhausted.

Just as I about to fall asleep my phone beeps. I groan as I roll over to see a message from Wren waiting for me.