@teachers, stop treating your students like they're stupid

through my first three years of high school, I've gone through a pretty hard time. I struggled with anorexia, depression and anxiety. it's safe to say my grades sucked ass. I honestly didn't have hope for myself and I never even tried to do the work. it's weird considering I was that kid in public school who got A+'s in harder subjects like math and French. I honestly had no hope for post secondary because I didn't even plan on living until graduation. this year, I want a change. I want to work on myself and my school work. I want to get those grades that I know I deserve. I came into this school year with determination and positivity. I ended up switching into a first period class last week called Travel and Tourism. the course would do nothing but give me a credit. I actually wanted a course that I would benefit and learn from. I went to get it switched to world history today and the teacher made me feel like shit. he seemed pretty offended that I told him I'd like to take a class that I would learn from and my guess is because his daughter is in that class. well, sir, not every daughter wants to become a flight attendant. basically, this guy made me feel like I'm stupid and seemed to shoot down all my positive vibes for this year. I want to study criminology and go into criminal law. it's been a dream of mine to catch the bad guys and put them away ever since I was a little girl. and I understand my marks need to get better, trust me I know I can do better. I'm doing a thirteenth year to get extra credits to apply for more programs as well. I'm actually trying to bring myself back from all the mistakes I've made so please don't make me feel like I'm stupid and won't get into the career I want. also, another teacher of mine always questions me when I get my work done early? I'm like "we're don-" and she's automatically like "no you're not, read the article". listen lady I read the fucking article and completed all the questions that came along with it with forty minutes still left of class. she's always telling us to get to work but when we actually do the work she's like no you didn't. I actually fought with her the one day she said that and I was like "you want to see?" I showed her and she was wrong HA. so here's a tip for teachers: encourage and help students with their school work rather than treating them like they're stupid for not even knowing something you haven't (or have) taught them. you need to know that there are very intelligent people in our schools and if you actually encouraged them, you would see their potential. treat students better and maybe they would apply themselves more.