media + body image

it's 6:30 am and I cannot sleep. So of course, I scroll through some apps, watch some videos. I get to Facebook and I'm scrolling down my newsfeed when I come across a recently shared picture. the picture is of a girl dressed as Harley Quinn at the movie theatre. this girl is rocking that outfit, it was so amazing and she pulled it off so well. but what really got me was the caption "when you eat your whole squad". this girl wasn't thin and that was the whole point of the post. not only am I extremely disgusted but I am hurt. that girl is so beautiful and to just make fun of her weight like that is ridiculous. I found that the people who laughed at it and shared were usually the ones talking about how girls shouldn't look up to celebrities for their bodies and to love themselves. you see, some girls do love themselves. but then they post a picture and are ridiculed on social media for it. there are so many people who will not post pictures of themselves full length because of this. it is so disgusting. you can't expect someone to love themselves if all you do is make them hate themselves. this girl couldn't even take a picture in an amazing costume without getting made fun of. so here's a big fuck you to all the people who decide to make fun of others for their weight. you expect them to be perfect when you're still far from it. stop body shaming and start bringing more positivity to the media. you have the world at your fingertips, make a positive impact rather than a negative one.