two - enoch

i dont know what to call this story

LOIS' FATHER'S FUNERAL had arrived and the past few days, her grey eyes had been full of tears. So a few hours prior to the event, Lois snuck into the funeral home to find her father's body. She wanted to see him again, alone, without the other people there or her stepmother pretending to cry. She had a paper that she wanted to put in his pocket as well.

Lois pushed open a door and was surprised to see a boy about her age there. He turned around and studied Lois with heavy-lidded eyes, as if he hadn't slept in quite a while. His hair was messy and black and curly and his skin was pale. He was a good bit taller than her and skinny as well and he held something behind his back to hide it.

"Who are you?" He asked.

"Uh, L-Lois."

"Oh, hello L-Lois. May I ask what you are doing here?" He said sarcastically.

"I wanted to see my fathers body before the funeral." She said, already not exactly being fond of the boy's personality.

"Ah, you see my father owns this funeral home so I have the power to have a say in this."

"And...?" Lois asked after a small silence.

"No," he said, examining his fingernails.

"Why?"

"Because." He said defiantly.

Lois, at this point was exasperated by the boy and struggled to hold her anger in. She closed her eyes and inhaled and exhaled a few times and when she opened them again, she was startled to realize that the water the boy had brought was suspended in the air. Lois let it drop but not before Enoch noticed.

"You're like me too, aren't you?" He asked quietly.

"What?"

He set something wrapped in paper towels on a table and brushed off his hands.

"I am Enoch O'Connor. I can revitalize the dead."

"I'm Lois Mills, and I guess you already saw what I can do."

The pair sat and stared at each in a silence. Neither new what to say.

"I'm planning on running away tomorrow to find people like us." Lois said quietly.

Enoch stared at her before saying quietly, "Can I come with you?"

"Of course you can. I'm leaving tomorrow, bring money and anything else you may need. I'll meet you outside the funeral home at 7:00 pm."

Enoch smiled and Lois just looked at him expectantly. "What?" He said.

"May I see my father's body? Its what I'm here for."

"Oh, yeah." And Enoch stumbled toward the door.

•••

Lois fingered the paper in her hand and gulped. She walked up to her father's soon to be buried body and sighed heavily. He looked peaceful. He was wearing a suit and with a shaking hand, Lois slipped a note into his jacket pocket. A tear slipped down her face and she wiped it off quickly and slipped silently out the door.