31. Proposition Number One

Chapter 31

November 25, 2016

"This is a what?" I quiz Harry once more, trying not to laugh.

"Holler?" He answers, and I can't help it anymore. I burst into incontrollable laughter.

"And we're headed to?"

"The 'crick'?" He scrunches his nose as he answers.

"And we're?"

"We're, quote, 'fixin' to' have us a picnic." He answers, a goofy grin on his face.

I laugh loudly, barely maintaining control of the truck as we drive down the hill to my favorite secret spot from when I was a kid.

"It sounds loads more attractive coming from your mouth," Harry defends. "I sound like an idiot."

"Hey, we've got to practice your accents. You never know when you'll get a role with a southern accent." I tease.

"I won't be signing up for any of those." He assures me.

"We're here!" I announce excitedly, switching off the ignition and hopping out of the truck.

It was a small meadow, full of flowers normally, now filled with all sorts of shades of brown, glistening from the lowering sun. Harry shuts his door behind him, carrying the picnic basket and a blanket with him. We sit out on the blanket, feet dangling in the grass, listening to the water flow over the rocks, listening to wind. I pull my sweater over my hands out from the ends of my coat and wrap my scarf tightly around my neck.

"Cold?" Harry asks, and he's off to the truck before I can respond, bringing back a couple more blankets.

I smile as I notice the one on the bottom of the pile.

"My grandmother made this for me, before I was born," I tell Harry, tracing my fingers across the stitching. "It still smells like her."

Harry takes it from me and wraps it around my shoulders.

"Better?" He asks, and I nod.

"If you go to film the movie... next summer," I begin, feeling the anxiety creep back in. "How long will you be gone?"

"I'm not sure," He answers truthfully. "But, I've told you, baby, you will be with me."

"I have to work, Harry." I remind him.

"You don't," He argues. "You can stay with me."

"And lose my job?" I ask rhetorically.

"You work by assignment," He reminds me. "Just don't take any assignments then. Or take short ones and then come wherever I am."

"That's a big commitment," I tell him. "Everyone will know then. Plus, I don't want to rely on you financially. I'd feel lazy."

"They're gonna know when I bring you to the premiere. They'll surely know after the Ellen show goes on air." He reminds me.

I sigh, remaining silent.

"What's wrong, Rhi? Do you not want to stay with me? Are you upset that I'm doing this movie?" He asks.

"Of course not," I assure him. "I'm so, so happy and I'm even more proud of you. And I do want to stay with you. I'm just afraid you-"

"Might not want you to stay with me." He assumes, and I nod.