21. Higher the Peak, Harder the Fall

June 23, 2015

I woke up feeling like someone had shot me with a tranquilizer gun. All of my limbs were like jelly, and each felt like they weighed a thousand pounds a piece. I was completely and wonderfully satisfied. I looked over, seeing a gloriously naked Harry barely illuminated by the sun peeking through the curtains. A solid stripe of light illuminated the fern tattoos on his hips, and my upper thigh, which was draped around him. My head was on his chest, one of his hands draped around to my behind, and the other lazily behind his head, showing off his arm muscles.

"Morning, beautiful girl." I hear his voice rasp, and I can't fight the face-splitting grin that erupts on my face.

"Morning, handsome." I smile.

"Last night was arguably the best night of my life." He says, rubbing circles in my back.

"Me, too," I agree. "The other first-time stories I'd heard had me scared to death. But, that was amazing. Crazy good."

"You don't regret it? Are you hurting any? Did it hurt last night? Were you uncomfortable?" He asks, sitting up, and I laugh.

"No, no, no, and no." I grin, rolling my eyes.

"That was the best sex I'd ever had. Not that I've had a crazy amount or anything." He says.

"Me, too." I smirk, and he rolls his eyes.

My phone rings from the bedside table and I grab it, checking the number before I answer.

"Grandpa," I answer.

"Hi, kiddo," He greets me. "How've you been?"

"Great," I answer. "Just traveling and taking pictures. My two favorite things."

I hear him laugh.

"That's great, Annie. I'm glad you're having fun." He says.

"Is there something wrong?" I ask, noticing the change in his tone.

"Not necessarily wrong," He says, and I stiffen. "Annie, have you gotten any phone calls from a David Vance lately?"

I freeze, and my heartbeat doubles.

"Yeah," I admit. "Once. First it was the social worker, then him."

"What did he say?" He asks.

"He tried to tell me... what the social worker told me, but I got angry and hung up on him." I tell him. "Did he contact you?"

I hear him sigh.

"He came to visit, Annie." He says. My eyes widen.

"What? You let him visit you?" I ask, stunned.

"Annie, you need to hear this man out. He's a good man who was done wrong by your mother." He says, and I shake my head.

"You believe him?" I ask, shocked.

"Annie, you look just like him." He sighs.

I feel an angry tear fall down my face. This can't be happening.

"Why should I let him in? I don't really have the best experience with parents, Grandpa." I remind him.

"Your mother," He begins, but changes his tone. "She's sorry for what she's done, sweetheart. It's not enough to fix anything, but she's sorry."

"Yeah, well, I'm sorry, too. Doesn't change much." I huff.

"Please, just hear this man out. For me." He begs, and I sigh.