32. Proposition Number Two (Christmas Edition)

Ch. 32

"Have you looked at today's entry?" Harry asks me, sitting down beside me.

I look up at him, the lights from the Christmas tree making his face shine.

"No, I was just looking back through some of them. Can't believe tomorrow is the last one. Can't believe tomorrow is Christmas." I smile.

"It's my favorite holiday. Always has been." He says, bringing his knees up to his chest.

"Really?" I ask.

"Yeah," he looks down at his hands. "It always reminds me of family. I just loved knowing that every Christmas my family would all get together and we'd have a huge dinner and spend time together. There's just so much joy and happiness. I love it."

I offer half a smile.

"I used to love it. Then I kind've grew to hate it. The last few years, though, I've kind've just ignored it. I'd spend it with my Grandpa."

"Mommy?"

I woke up to the sound of sirens blaring from the driveway. They were getting closer to the house. I looked out to see that it was snowing.

I loved the snow.

And then, my six year old brain remembered.

"It's Christmas!" I squealed, hopping out of bed and running to the edge living room, only to see my grandpa hovering over the couch where my mother laid, a empty bottle of scotch on the floor by her hand.

The sirens got closer, and eventually, they came to a stop. Two men in dark jackets came in with a stretcher and put my mom on it, while my grandpa just ran his hands through his hair and sobbed.

Because I was six, the first thing I thought was:

"Do they not know it's Christmas, Pappaw?" I called out, and my grandpa turned around quickly, not knowing I was up.

"Rhiannon..." He said, wiping his face.

"They can't take Mommy today... I got her a present." I explained.

I saw the tears roll down my grandpa's face, which scared me.

"I thought she might like it," I whimpered, feeling my grandpa place his arms around my little body, picking me up. "I thought it would make her happy."

That's the year I stopped caring about Christmas.

"I know you don't have the best track record as far as Christmases go," he begins. "And that's why I want to change it. Starting tomorrow, Christmas is gonna be your favorite, too."

"I know it will. I'm so happy everyone's coming here for Christmas. I haven't seen my grandpa Jack in a month. Or mom. I hate that she can't make it. I can't wait to go see her and the baby after the new year. Thank you for doing this." I tell him, placing my hand on his arm.

"Ready for bed?" He asks me after a few moments.

"Yeah. Just have to take today's picture." I smile, flipping through the book Harry'd made me until I reach day 90.

Day 90

Under the Mistletoe

"You sneaky thing... I forgot you traced the days. We don't have mistletoe, do we?" I ask, and he grins.

He pulls out a small branch of mistletoe and my camera that he'd hidden behind him.

"We may have some," he grins, holding the mistletoe above our heads. "Ready?"