Weightless Lullabies | Chapter 9

Vote and Comment

xoxo Natasha <3

All day, I was distracted. The long weekend had been pretty uneventful after what happened with my dad. In first period, I had gotten a text from Jason, saying he forgave me. Which I didn't understand.

What was there to forgive?

I didn't get a text back until lunch.

For running, and staying with that guy.

I replied quickly. I'm not sorry for that. What is it you want? Just leave me alone.

Come outside.

I looked at my phone for a long time, before texting back and telling him I was coming. What was the worst he could do? We were on school grounds, with people coming in and out of the parking lot. I dumped my tray and walked out of the cafeteria, making my way to the parking lot. I could feel eyes on the back of my head as I walked out of the cafeteria.

Jason was there, leaning up against his car. Why he was staying in the cold baffled me, it was freezing out here. He could have just stayed in his car until he saw me come out.

"What do you want, Jason?" I asked him, walking up to him. "I told you it was over, and that you should leave me alone."

Jason just smiled. Weirdly, it wasn't a scary, creepy smile, it was a genuine smile. Which kinda scared me more. He wrapped his arms around me and squeezed tightly.

"I've told you, I want you." he said in my ear. "I didn't appreciate you running from me the other night."

"And like I told you," I said, trying to push myself out of his embrace. "I don't want you, I broke up with you. And of course I ran, you'd obviously been drinking, and I didn't know what you'd do to me."

"We are not broken up." he yelled.

"Yes, we are." he had set me down, I looked straight into his eyes. "I hate you! Why don't you get that? I don't love you anymore and you know that. After you hit me all those times, why would I?"

Jason's eyes filled with sadness. So, I guessed that he had realized the fullness of his actions in the last few days, and was at his phase where he would be all sweet and apologize.

"I'm sorry." I knew it. "I love you Spencer, why can't you see that. I let my anger get the best of me, but it isn't like you didn't deserve to get hit."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Fuck you, Jason! I fucking hate you! Just leave me alone, and go find someone else."

I began to walk away from him when he grabbed my arm.

"Get back here bitch." he growled. "You can't tell me what to do, or when it's over. I do, I'll tell you when it's over."

Subtly, he brought his fist back, and punched me in my stomach. I felt the air leave my mouth, and felt my lunch trying to come back up. He did it again, and I felt my body curve. I heard the lunch bell ring, and Jason let go of me.

"I'll see you later." he said, walking away and into his car.

I watched him drive off before I picked myself off of the ground and walk into the school. I walked straight into the bathroom and walked over to a mirror. I lifted my shirt and looked at the bruises that were already there, and the dusty imprints of where Jason had just punched.

I heard the bathroom door open, and tried to quickly put down my shirts. It wasn't quick enough, I heard whoever walk in gasp.

"What happened?" I looked up, and it was a blond girl. I knew her from somewhere, but couldn't remember where.

"Nothing." I said.

"Um," she squeezed her eyebrows together. "Okay, well, I was wondering what you thought you were doing kissing my boyfriend?"

Oh, she was Lisa. Alex's girlfriend.

I really wasn't one to lie when it came to things like this. "I don't really know." I told her. "I guess I though that maybe I liked him, but I didn't. Sorry, if I made you mad."

She nodded, and I walked out of the washroom. I didn't feel like school, not after Jason, so I went to my locker, got my things, and left.

I think I would go to Cole and Susan's house.

Alex

After lunch all I could think of was that guy I saw Spencer talking to. I know it was none of my business, but she looked scared when she was talking to him, and before the bell had rung, looked like she had the wind knocked out of her.

The last period bell had just rung, and I walked over to Lisa's locker.

"Hey baby." I said.

She kissed me and smiled. "Hey. So, you know the girl that Jack likes....um Spencer?"

"No," I teased. "Yeah, what about her?"

"Well, I know you told me not to, but I asked her why she had kissed you." she told me sheepishly. "And her reason was simple. But when I walked into the washroom, she had been looking at her stomach in the mirror, and she had bruises in places, and dusty markings of new ones. You said you were worried about her, so I thought you should know."

I kissed her forehead. "Thanks, Lis."

After dropping Lisa off at home, I went to my house, grabbed my guitar and headed over to Rian's, for band practice. I parked outside of his house, but instead of leaving my car right away, I took out my cell phone and texted Spencer. To see if she was alright, by now I realized that that guy she had been with at lunch had obviously punched her.

Hey, it's Alex Gaskarth. I saw you at lunch today, and Lisa told me about seeing you in the washroom. So I've figured that the guy you were with was Jason. I was wondering if you were okay? I didn't see you after school, did you want to come over to band practice? Jack would love it, and we could talk.

I hit send, happy that she had given me her number, and walked into Rian's house.

"Hello, Alex." Anna Dawson greeted, she had two 1 litre bottles of pop in her hands. "The boys are in the basement. Do you think you could bring these down?"

"Sure." I took the pop from her, and walked downstairs.

"About time." Zack said seeing me. "What took you?"

"Me and your mom were busy, sorry." I said smirking. "And she told me to tell you that you're having tacos tonight."

"Fuck you, Gaskarth." he laughed.

"POP!" Jack screamed, seeing me holding the pop.

"Hi to you to Jack."

Jack came over and took the pop from me, and Rian said hi. Before we started practicing, we sat down and decided what songs we would play for Chris Fraser's party. As we were deciding, my cell phone vibrated, and I looked at the screen. It was from Spencer.

It was nothing, you don't need to worry Alex. I'd love to see you play, but I'm in Baltimore...the city right now. Your girlfriend seems nice. See you later, tell Jack and the others I say hi.

I sighed, and shut my phone.

"Who you talking to?" Rian asked.

"Spencer." I said. Jack's head looked up immediately. "Before you ask, she isn't coming, she's in Baltimore, but she says 'hi'."

As we walked over to our instruments, I wondered what Spencer was doing in Baltimore.