Weightless Lullabies | Chapter 19

There is an external link so you can see my outfits, and all the other ones that wouldn't open. There will now always be an external link to all my outfits. :)

Comment and Vote

xoxo Natasha <3

"Are you ready, Penny?" Jack called from downstairs. "We have to go."

"I'm almost ready." I called back, looking at my wall as I sat on my bed.

Jack wanted me to meet his family, his sister had come into town because she had a break from school and his parents were dying to meet me. I wasn't so ecstatic about the idea, I had been nervous for weeks and made Kara and Lisa come dress shopping with me. I wanted to look perfect. But now, I didn't want to leave the sanctuary that was my room.

"Penny." Jack called again. "You've been up there for at least two hours, what is taking you so long?"

I could hear him walking up the stairs and I started to panic. I didn't want to go anymore, but I couldn't think of anything to say that wouldn't hurt his feelings or disappoint him. So I hid...in my closet.

"Penny?" Jack said, opening my door. "Spencer? Where are you?"

I put my hand over my mouth and prayed that he didn't find me or hear me. So, naturally, the first place he looked was the closet. When he opened the sliding door and saw me there, he gave me a questioning look.

"Hey," I said uncertainly. "Um, you win!? You found me."

I put my head down and walked quickly out of my closet, hoping to get away. Jack grabbed my arm before I got out of the room and lead me to my bed.

I had never been so scared in my life. Not when my dad beat me for the first time or when I went into foster care, not even when Jason first hit me. But right now, I was scared shitless.

"Penny," Jack said as he sat down beside me and rubbed the back of my hand. "you need to calm down, you're only meeting my family. We'll be in there for fifteen minutes tops, and then we'll be going out to dinner."

"Easy for you to say," I barked. "You're not the one meeting my parents. You have nothing to worry about until graduation. How could I not be scared. What if they don't like me?" I asked, asking the same question every boyfriend and girlfriend asks when meeting their boyfriend/girlfriend's family for the first time.

He just laughed.

"They'll love you. Just like I do." he told me, kissing my forehead.

"You must be Penny." Jack's mom, Theresa, exclaimed.

"Actually it's Spencer." I said, correcting her. "Jack just calls me Penny, although I don't know where he got that from."

"Well," Jack said, starting to explain. "I was thinking Spenny, but that just sounded really weird. So then I just took out the 's' and started calling you Penny."

"Right." a girl around my age, but older said. "Well, I'm May. It's nice to meet you."

I smiled. We got through introductions and went to sit in the family room. We talked about my life, Jack had apparently told them everything, and how long we had been dating. Somehow, the conversation turned to childhood memories.

"No!" I exclaimed.

"Yes!" May laughed along with the rest of her family. "It was hilarious, he would go near the water for a week."

"Okay." Jack huffed, clearly embarrassed. "As much as I love reminiscing about the past, we have to go."

I smiled at Jack.