Smart Blu

Matthew

"I went and picked up your mail." I said to Blu, sitting on the couch wrapped in her blanket. We'd made it back to the USA, but she's sick in Seattle so her last few tour dates have been moved.

"Give me!" She spoke hoarse with excitement. I handed it over smiling at her giddy face. She yelped as she flipped through and gave me one of the envelopes.

"I doubt I have fan mail." I said to her and she groaned with a hint of a smile. "It's still for you, actually." She said back with a smirk. I turned it over and it was from a university and I instantly thought she was crazy.

"I never submitted an application and this is a damn good school. What is this?" I asked confused. She grabbed my hand and held it softly in hers, "I remember on our first date to the Hiding Place you told me all the odds were against you in our town and there was no way anyone would accept you, but I know you're the smartest kid out there if you apply yourself, so I took it in my own hands and my mom wrote you a letter of recommendation pulling some strings and you and I...we will be attending NYC together in the fall." She said so calmly, yet tenderly. I could hear the warmth in her voice. I pulled her close and hugged her so tight.

"Blu. I don't know what I'd do without you. Thank you, baby. This is just too much." I said sighing in her embrace. She's the only thoughtful person I've had in my life and she cares about me, yet I treat her like property, like she'll always be there even if I treat her like dirt. Things like this make me realize how fortunate I am. She has stayed with me through thick and fucking thin overlooking my shitty personality sometimes. She's my homie and my baby and I wish I could tell her all this without feeling weak, but I'm working on it.

"I'm sick!" She yelled trying to pull back and I laughed. "I don't care. I love you." I said pulling back to look in her eyes.

"I love you more and I'd have submitted a million of those until you got into one because you...you're going to change the world someday and I'll be there to witness it." She said and I set down the paper and pulled her to where she was laying on my chest.

"I never thought I'd be this person in a million years." I said as she played with my fingers that were wrapped around her chest.

"I knew you'd smile for me. That's the real reason I did it." She said and I sighed. "You're very warm." She looked at me upside down. "It's hot in here!" She claimed, but I knew it was her sickness. "That's enough." I said pushing her off. She groaned.

"I'm joking baby." I shot back pulling her back closer. "I'm honestly the biggest fool and letting you go would declare me the dumbest guy alive." I said to her and she laughed.

"Where is this coming from?" She asked and I just smiled. "I just realized I'm the biggest ass to you and you love me despite everything." I said shortening my thoughts. "You are an ass, but I'd be the real idiot letting someone like you go. You're the only guy I've ever liked who isn't ordinary or a player. You haven't cheated on me, asked for nudes, or forced me to do anything. You don't know it, but you're sweeter than the average guy." She said.

"I really want to celebrate, but I know you're sick, so we can order in instead." I said kissing her forehead. "See...I'm the lucky one."

Suddenly we heard a knock at the door.

"Who is it?" I asked suspiciously. Nobody knows where we are other than her team and they would tell us if they were coming by.

I swung open the door to see the last person I would imagine. The one person I'd never care an ounce about ever as long as I lived. My sorry mother.