18 Alliance

I opened my eyes, I saw lights.

Feeling returned to my limbs and with it the pain. And it was that painful jolt that brought me fully back into consciousness. I sat bolt upright and looked around. I was lying in a single large white bed all by myself. I am in the hospital of course! But how did I get to the hospital? And what happened after I passed out? Was Braun alive? Questions pounding around in my head shooting about like flies. My train of thought was interrupted when a nurse walked through the door and said in fluent Chinese:

"Ling, someone wants to see you."

I didn't reply, because I knew it wasn't a request but rather just information. I expected it to be Charlotte, since she couldn't wait to torture me about the fact I didn't tell her what I was I going to do, not that I needed to tell her anyways. The nurse stepped outside the room and someone else stepped in... and it wasn't Charlotte.

"Right" I recognized it as Italian. I sized up the new arrival. He looked younger than 20, but was less than five feet tall. He wore a black top hat that covered most of his head, with silky black hair sticking from under it. He wore a black tuxedo with a red bow tie, with black dress shoes. Two massive men that I could tell were his bodyguards as stepped through the door beside him.

"You're the Italian competitor." I said at once.

"Of course!" he replied as one of his men pulled up a chair to the side of my bed. The little man sat down and looked at me and I looked at him back.

"Almost forgot to introduce myself, I am Louis Costanzo M. Massimiliano I know all about you." He said.

I knew he was wrong but I didn't reply.

"You were out for three days... take a look at this." One of his bodyguards passed a newspaper to me and I took it reluctantly. Then opened it and read it...

"Mysterious fire burns down old abandon car factory. 6 died..." I counted the number up, 3 got killed by knives, 2 got killed by shotgun firing, and Kenai...that means Braun is still alive, unless he wasn't found... thinking about the incident gave me a head ache.

"My friend, you caused quite some havoc." He snatched the newspaper form my hands deliberately, then spun in his chair excitedly.

"First of all I am not your friend. Second, what are you trying to get at?"

"Pazienza. Though I may look small, I am actually couple years your senior. That means you should show some respect, so don't ask questions until I finish mine. Capire?" He grinned. He may be a midget, but I will never underestimate him. What he just said there wasn't a reminder but rather a warning.

"Capire," I replied, "I understand".

"Eccellente! Now listen carefully to my next question...what do you think about having a free clue?"

I knew this was a trap. But right now I am a fish in a tank, if I refuse to take the bait, he will just simply overtake me with force. Which wouldn't look too bright for me, considering I don't have any weapons me with right now and my entire body feels sore. And the two guards look were built like a concrete wall, I don't know if my fist would do any effect to them. So I decided it was best right now to just listen to whatever he has to say...

"I am waiting." He cleared his throat.

"Sounds...Interesting."

"Interesting?" he leaned forward.

"Because you didn't mention any catch."

"Ah, you are the catch my friend! You are the fish."

"What do you want to do with me?"