Part One: June-28

“Riley Preston,” Rummy’s voice entered my mind, “Excelent job on stopping that bomb. It was a little sloppy, so I shall give you a six...Riley, are you listening?”

            “What just happened?” I looked around and found myself sitting in the chair, Mission Complete written on all the screens in red.

            “Why, dear, you just completed your exam.” Rummy gasped, “Are you okay? I guess it may be the presure. Some food in that stomach of yours will help. Now off to lunch with you! And remember, no discussing the exam. Good day, Miss Riley.”

            I watched as she exited the little room and I took up the paper. I stopped the bomb? And got a six? I don’t remember doing anything though…

            “Riley?” I looked up and hopped out of the room and into the hallway.

            “Hunter?” I asked and looked down the other way, The boy came out from one of the corners and spotted me. He ran up with his large smile.

            “Hey, Ri, I went to see how you were doing in your exam but you weren’t in there.”

            “Oh,” I laughed, “There wasn’t enough computers so she sent me to a different room. It’s-“

            It was missing. The door wasn’t there, it was just a wall.

            “It was just here!” I gasped, trying to knock on the door to find the hallow spot but it sounded like it was perfectly solid.

            “Sometimes doors do that here, Riley,” He laughed, putting an arm around my shoulder and leading me away“Lets get some lunch now, I’m starving.”

            “O-Okay,” I said, looking one last time at that wall.

            When we excited the building, I felt the heat wave immeadiately. It had to be at least 100 degrees (F) here. I wiped the sweat off of my head and looked to Hunter. He wasn’t sweating at all. Nonchalantly I bumped my hand to his and found that is skin was icey cold.

            “Hunter?” I asked, scrunching my eyebrows, “Why are you so cold and not sweating. Its sweltering out here.”

            “Oh yeah,” He chuckled, “I’m wearing one of Perry’s new inventions. Look.”

            He took of his dark blue watch and pointed to a little metal circle with two tong like things streatching underneath to the buckles of the watch. Carefully he wrapped it around my wrist and tightened it. I instantly felt cooler.

            “Awesome right?” He chuckled, “It adjust the body temperature so that you feel like it’s the perfect temperature all of the time. Its still being tested though. He want’s to make sure it won’t cut off your body’s instincts to go into a shelter.”

            “What do you mean?” I asked as I relaxed, feeling my skin cool.

            “Like, if you were in the artic in what you are wearing now, you would get frost bite,” Hunter reached for my wrist and pointed to the watch, “This may make you feel warm and you may think you can stay out as long as you please. Perry wants to see if you can, or would you be freeze to death.”

            “A-and how are they testing that out?” I asked worried.

            “Don’t worry, everyone is safe,” He chuckled as he removed the watch, “Maybe I can get him to give you one too. You look like your dying.”

            “Thanks,” I smiled, feeling the heat hit me once again. However, my skin was still a little cool, “What other cool gadgets did Perry make?”

            “That, my friend, is classified,” He laughed and opened the door to the lunch hall.

            “Riley!” Someone yelled.

            “Looks like you cabin mates want to speak to you,” Hunter frowned, “I guess I’ll see you later then.”

            “Okay, Bye Hunter,” I said and waved to him.

            When Hunter lost himself in the crowd, Missy and Zoe appeared. Behind them, at a much slower pace, Dasha and James whispered to each other.

            “Riley!” Zoe jumped, “Can I see your scores?”

            “Sure,” I said and handed over the peice of paper to her. She and Missy bagan going over it and giggled excitely.

            “Look Riley!” Missy smiled widely, “You have a seven on your tech exam! You know what this means right? It means you have the oppertunity to get out of the cursed spot!

            “What?” I asked confused.

            “Listen,” Zoe stepped forward and gripped my shoulders, she looked directly at my eyes, “The cursed spot is not something to be in. You can be kidnapped, paralyzed. Riley, you could be killed. But, you have a passing grade in tech, a seven. If you get a lower grade, you will be tranfered to a different cabin who needs a tech wiz. It would be much safer and you can still do cool things and work behind the scenes. All you have to do is fail the field agent exam.”