Battle for the Prison

"It's not up to me!" Rick shouted back to The Governor. "There's a council now, they run this place!"

     "Is Hershel on the council?" The Governor asked. A woman walked over to a truck and pulled Hershel out and walked him over to the front of the tank. Maggie, Beth, and I gasped in shock. "What about Michonne? Is she on the council too?" A man walked up to the truck and pulled Michonne out, walking her over to where Hershel stood, forcing Michonne and Hershel onto their knees.

     "I don't make decisions anymore!"

     "You're making the decisions today Rick. Come down here, let's- let's have that talk."

     "We can do this, alright?" I whispered to Daryl.

     "We can't take them all on." Daryl silently replied. "We ain't got the numbers no more."

     "When was the last time someone checked the stash on the bus?"

     "Days before we hit the big spot." Sasha answered as she and Tyreese approached us. "We were running low on rations then, we're lower now."

     "We'll manage." I turned to Rick. "Rick, hold up a second." I turned back to Daryl. "Daryl, I'm leavin' ya in charge while Rick and I try to settle this."

     "What do ya mean you and Rick? What the hell do ya plan on doin'?" Daryl asked.

      "Hopefully buy us time and save Hershel and Michonne in the process. if shit goes south, go through the fence, go to the administration buildin', head for safety like we planned."

     "What if everybody doesn't know when things go bad? How long do we wait?" Tyreese asked.

     "As long as we can." I turned back to Daryl. "No matter what happens, make sure ya get everyone and yourself to safety."

     "What about you?"

     "He wants me, no one else. I can distract 'em long enough for everyone to escape." I gave Daryl one last kiss and hug, "I love you."

     "I love you, too." Daryl reached into his waistband and handed me a pistol. "This ain't goodbye."

     "Never was." I smiled before turning to Rick. "Let's end this." Rick nodded and we headed down towards The Governor. "The Governor might be willin' to negotiate a deal." I mumbled to Rick. "If he is-"

     "No, Michaela." Rick argued. "We're not losin' ya again."

     "We gotta do it, Rick. If he's willin' to take me in exchange, ya do it, follow us from a distance, and we take 'em out. Got it?"

     "It's a dangerous plan."

     "It's our only chance."

     "I know, but I don't have to like it."

     "But you'll go with it because ya trust my judgment and because I trust y'all to have my back." Rick glanced over at me and subtly nodded as we reached the fence.

     "Let 'em go right now." Rick said to The Governor. "We'll stay down here. Talk as long as you want, but you let 'em go. You got a tank, ya don't need hostages."

     "I do." The Governor tittered. "This is just to show you I'm serious. Not to blast a hole in our new home. You and your people have until sundown to get out of here or they die." The Governor motioned towards Hershel and Michonne.

     "Philip." I called to The Governor, his gaze quickly met mine. "Please, we can work this out. Let 'em go. I'll take their place, but please just let them go."