Past and Present

Jamila
Chapter 22
January 28,2016

Me and Rain was at the bar. She was sittin on the stool and I had my back facing her as I leaned between her legs. We were laughing and having good time. Her arm was lightly around my waist.

"No I swear. She was crying and shit acting like she was gonna jump in the grave. I was just hanging back looking at her. I wasn't gonna save her if she went over though. Anyway she inched up and inched up some more. Her foot was on the edge and she almost slipped in. she jumped back and was like ' ooo fuck. Baby I will see you soon but not that soon.'  Then she walked off and got back in her car," Rain said.

I laughed as I let my arms caress the one that was around my waist. I looked at her and she was chuckling with her fist up to her mouth.

"You wasn't going to let her fall in were you?" I asked her as she looked up at the ceiling.

She nodded her head.

"I sure the hell was," she said and looked at me smiling.

"That's not very gentleman like," I said.

"She wasn't gonna pay for my dry cleaning," she said as she took a sip of her drink and sat it back down.

I watched as she bit her bottom lip and just looked at me. Her eyes were shining in the dim lighting.  She looked so relaxed and happy.

"Well what do we have here?" I heard a familiar voice.

I looked up and saw my Ex standing in front of me drunk and licking her lips. she was the most abusive person I knew personally. I felt my body tense up. I looked her up and down. She was like 5'6 or so with darkskin, dark brown eyes that seemed black. Her dreads looked a bit longer and she had the tip dyed orange or something.  I watched as she smiled her creepy as smile that I use to  love.  I looked her up and down. Her khaki pants sagged as her walmart work shirt barely covered her basketball shorts she had on. Of course she had the latest pair of Jordans on her feet.

"Booker," I said.

"Yes Mila, It's me. What time are you gonna be done hoeing around?" she asked me.

I felt my body tense up more. I guess Rain felt it because I felt her grip get tighter around my waist. I felt her presence change. It wasn't relaxed it was protective. I let my body sink into hers even more.

"Don't worry about that," I said as I looked down at my feet.

"Watch it Mila. I will be over to check on you later okay?" she semi yelled at me.

I flinched  and I felt Rain stand up and hold me tighter. I was starting to feel like a child.

"Naw playboy. She guci. She don't need you to come over tonight. I will be there," Rain said as her voice got deeper.

I bit my bottom lip and turned my head to look at her. She was staring down my past. Her glare was intense and the presence of protection grew stronger.

" Man you don't know me. While you got yo arms around what is mines, and will always be mines.... playa," Booker hissed.

I felt Rain breathing get heavy against back. I looked back at her and she looked like she could kill Booker. Even though Booker was a good inch taller than her. I think I can't really tell. To be honest everybody is usually taller than me.I was leaning all of my body into Rain as I felt a cloud of safety engulf me.