Home

"Riley?"

I look over to my window from my bed to see Farkle. He's gesturing for me to open the window and I do. The second it's open The boy jumps in and sits with me at the bay window. I don't say anything because I'm not sure what to say. There's not many reasons for him to be here at nearly eleven.

"My parents are fighting again," Farkle tells me.

I pull him close to me and rub circles in his hand to comfort him.

"You're always welcome here," I remind him.

"Thanks. I just wish I felt that way about my home."

I don't say anything because I know him well enough to know that nothing I say will make him feel better. All I can really do is be there for him when he needs it.

While we sit I hear his stomach growling.

I look into his eyes ask, "Have you eaten dinner?"

Farkle just nods slightly in an almost embarrassed manner.

"I'll get you something to eat. Just stay here."

I then get up and go to the kitchen. The first thing I grab is the leftover chicken spread and crackers. Then I get a cup of water since I know he'll get thirsty. As I'm closing up the fridge I hear someone come up behind me.

I turn to see my mom.

She smiles at me and asks, "Late night cravings?"

"Uhh yeah," I say maybe a little too quickly.

"Okay," she quietly says. "Just remember to bring your dishe to the sink."

"I will."

After that I rush to my room and shut the door. I turn to see Farkle staring out the window. I sit next to him and give him the food while setting the glass on the floor.

"I don't know what to do," the boy whispers.

I lean into him just enough to let him know I'm here. When I don't say anything he eats the spread. I notice he got some on his cheek so I laugh at him.

Farkle realizes why I'm laughing and tries to wipe it off, but failing each time.

"Here," I say stopping him and grabbing a clean tissue to wipe the stuff off of him. I look into his eyes and smile slightly. "You know if you ever need a home, this place can be it."

He sets the container down and responds, "As nice as an offer that is, I have to say I can't accept."

I frown. "Why not?"

Farkle smiles in a way so that I can see his eyes sparkle. "Because when all else fails I don't want four walls to be my home. I want you."

My heart soars as I shift so that I'm sitting in his lap and we're holding each other.

For the second time in my whole life I tell the handsome blue eyed boy that I love him.

"And I love you."