Hazel

I put the last shirt back on its hanger and step out of my closet. I finally got around to cleaning my whole room which resulted in throwing away a lot of useless junk.

I sigh and lay on my bed. It's been a really long day and some sleep will be nice. As I try to get comfortable I feel something poking my back. I reach behind me and find a pink stuffed animal.

I gasp. It's Hazel the hippo.

I smile at all the happy memories it brings. The main one being when I got my tonsils taken out and one of my best friends was right there when I woke up.

I slowly open my eyes. My throats feels really sore so I don't try to talk.

"Hey honey," my mom says to me. "How are you feeling?"

I make a face that shows her how lousy I feel.

My dad chuckles. "We know Riles. That's why we are so happy to tell you that you have a special visitor."

My mom and dad both move out of the way and I see my friend Farkle moving towards the side of my bed. He shifts awkwardly and seems to be hiding something behind his back.

I smile because I didn't think anyone would want to come visit me. I open my mouth and immediately feel some pain.

"Don't talk," he commands, "I don't want you to be in pain."

I'm about to say thank you when I realize I shouldn't talk, so I just smile a little bigger.

He adjusts his glasses and clears his throat. "I brought you something to make you feel better," Farkle explains while pulling a stuffed animal from behind his back. It's a pink hippo.

"You can name it later. Once you're feeling better."

I nod and take it from his hands. Instead of pulling all the way away I put one of my hands in his and squeeze it a little to let him know that I'm grateful. He really doesn't need to do all this, but he does.

"I do it because I love you," he says in a hushed tone.

I furrow my eyebrows and tilt my head. He can't love me because he said he would always love Maya and I the same.

The blue eyed boy pull at his turtleneck and shifted a bit. "Yeah I know. But I love you and Maya equally."

I stare at him trying to figure out why that doesn't sound right when I feel really tired.

"Farkle, I think Riley needs some rest," my mom tells him.

Farkle turns toward her and asks, "Can I stay in here? Just until she falls asleep."

My mom looks at us then nods grabbing a chair for him. I look at Farkle and know I'll be feel better soon enough.

I set down the stuffed animal when something clicks together in my brain.

Farkle used to say that he would always love us the same, but that day he said that he loves equally. What changed? When did he start saying that and how did Mays and I not notice? I want to confront him about it, the only problem is that our friendship might change if I get to the truth.

I sigh and try to go to sleep. Maybe I'll be able to think more clearly in the morning.