Changing Majors

So, I've always wanted to be a teacher. Throughout my childhood I would sit in my room, make a seating chart, grab my worn out copy of Charlotte's Web, and read aloud to my pretend classroom. Teaching is in my blood; I have three aunts and two cousins who are teachers. It just makes sense.

However, I was slammed with fears of Common Core, the uncertainty of finding a job, and the anxiety involved in presenting a lesson plan to a classroom. I was scared, unsure of myself.

I decided with my love of reading and writing that I could become an editor. That was practically my dream job for the past few years. However, the more I thought about it, the more uncertain I was about that as well. I mean, book editing is much more complex than editing essays. What if I don't have the right "eye" for noticing flaws in manuscripts? Furthermore, what will become of books? You cannot deny that e-books are on the rise, and as sad as it makes me, I know that the publishing world is evolving. Would there be a decrease in employment?

I had always known that I need to network my way into the publishing world, and I would have to do so through internships. Specifically, New York City is the soul of publishing. I don't like the city, I do not--by any means--intend to live there and raise my kids there. Since publishing is transitioning to a more digital world, I could probably work from home right? Well, I am not so certain anymore. I do not know what that future would exactly entail, and how I would definitely get to where I want to be is still so vague.

I thought about things, and I realized that if I just stuck to my guns, I could become a teacher! I could do it, it will be my direct link to students that I want to inspire. I could have great vacation time where I can write, take on a nice-paying waitressing position, and even just spend time with my family. There are also so many schools in my area that I could work for. If I count... I get to 8 possibilities within a half hour of home.

Three of my favorite people in the entire world (I have about 6 total) are teachers. Mr. Z, my aunt, and her daughter (my older cousin). I would have the best support, the best experience, if I just went for it.

Here I am, the day after Valentine's Day, switching from an English major to an Adolescent Education English major. I want to be certified from 7-12 in English, but I know I should add something else in there, like special education or another subject. I am extremely excited to take these next steps, but so stressed and nervous. I need to go cuddle with the love of my life right now, but he is three hours away.

That's all for now, more to come.