Chapter 10

Made this a long upload to make up for not uploading sooner last time! Hope you all enjoy! -heykay_23

***

I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

***

Life's too short to even care at all oh

I'm losing my mind losing my mind losing control

These fishes in the sea they're staring at me oh oh

Oh oh oh oh

A wet world aches for a beat of a drum

Oh

If I could find a way to see this straight

I'd run away

To some fortune that I should have found by now

I'm waiting for this cough syrup to come down, come down

Chapter 10

--Clay--

I slammed my head against the counter repeatedly. The girls were no longer kneading bread seeing as they now had it in the oven to cook.

So now I was alone in the kitchen, beating myself for the way I'm treating these girls, but I have to replace the money that was taken from me. I had no choice. Thatcher was the key to the last amount that I've been looking for.

But just as much as I was a man of stealth, I was also a man of honor. And I didn't want to go against the contract that Elspeth held against me. For some reason, I found it important to gain her respect and I didn't want her to think bad of me because of the relationships that I'm forming with the women here.

My head hit the granite counter tops once more and I let out an anguished groan when my phone sounded in my pocket.

I reached for it and answered the call without checking caller I.D... big mistake.

"Hello Clay." A disdainful voice said from the other side of the line.

I grimaced but knew that it would be best to answer the caller, "Hi Michelle."

"Don't sound so glum, I know that you've missed me or it is more like your entire savings your missing?"

I scoffed as the anger started to build within the pit of my stomach.

"Guess what?"

"What?"

"I bought a new car with your money. And guess what?"

My knuckles were white from squeezing the phone in my hand to the point where I thought it would snap. "You bitch."

"I got a whole closet full of new clothes. The total you ask? 25,000 dollars. I bet you wish you never trusted me, don't you?" I punched the counter top, my fist bouncing back painfully, but I ignored the ache and did it again and again, hearing her diabolical laughter from the other side of the line.

"See you, Clay. And I hope you rot in hell."

"I'm sure you'll be right there with me." I seethed.

She let out another bark of laughter, "As if, you got what you deserve."

There was practically smoke coming out of my ears, and my voice reverberated off the walls in my anger and I couldn't hide my frustration any longer. "You committed fraud Steph, your lucky that I don't turn you into the police! It's what I should do. But seeing as I'm a good person, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and hope that you'll return it all."