Chapter 16: Amnesia

We were Meant to be
Chapter 16
Katie's PoV

"Why do you always leave the house, Katie?" Brennan asked. "Why do you DON'T leave the house, Brennan?" I shot back.
"Okay okay chill." He said, sitting. I was walking outside our house, as usual. Then I met up with Caleb.
We were walking and talking on the sidewalk. It was a nice, beautiful afternoon.
"Poke!" He said, poking me on the side.
"Stop.." I replied, smiling. "Poke." He kept on saying while poking me. "Caleb... Stop.." I smiled.

"Ow!" he suddenly said. "Did I hit you?" I asked. "Yes.." "Where?" "Here.." he pointed his finger on his lips. "Kiss it." I went closer... And closer... And closer until.. "Nope."

He made the pouty face. I laughed and gave him a quick peck on the lips, and that made him smile.

Then something horrible happened, a few minutes later.

Caleb's PoV

"CALEB!" Katie yelled, and slipped on a banana peel. She hit her head hard. Hard.
I didn't catch her in time.
"Katie.. Katie!" I said, shaking her.
What do I do? WHAT DO I DO?!

I quickly carried her and ran to the hospital. Her head is bleeding. Oh no.
As I got there, they brought her to a room that didn't let me in.

I felt myself fill with worry.

If I caught her soon, she would still be smiling and goofing with me right now.

But I didn't. I didn't.

They did all kinds of stuff that I didn't really understand.

A few hours later, they let me in.
"She might have amnesia, since she bumped her head too hard. We don't know if the memories will come back to her." The doctor said. I nodded. Somehow those last words hit me hard.

Maybe she couldn't remember the love and friendship we shared.

I sat beside her, and she was peacefully asleep. I held her hand tight.
She woke up an hour later, with a terrified look on her face. I stood up and took 5 steps backwards.

"Who are you?!" and that's when my world started to crash and fall apart.She doesn't know me.

"Tell me, who are you?!" She repeated. "I'll call your parents." I sighed. I did, and they said that they're on their way.

"ANSWER ME!"
"Alright, alright. I'm Caleb."I mumbled.
"What?"
"Did this even affect her hearing?!" I whispered to myself.
"I can hear you."

I facepalmed hard. "Caleb. My name is Caleb. Caleb Logan Leblanc. Okay?" I repeated.
"Huh?" she quietly said.
"Caleb. Logan. Leblanc."
"Who's that?" She asked.
"Oh my Gosh." I whispered.
"Why are you saying Oh my gosh?"

Boy, this girl is gonna get a hit when she remembers.
"Sweetie!" someone barged in. Her parents.
I sat in a corner to give them some space.
Her mom walked over to me. "Caleb, what happened to her?" she asked. "Well, we were walking and talking on the sidewalk until she stepped on a banana peel. I didn't know she slipped, but she screamed my name." I explained. "Thanks for bringing her to the hospital quickly." She said. I smiled.

"Hey mom, dad. Where's Brennan?" My heart broke into pieces. "So, she has Amnesia?" "Uhm yes, but I think she knows everyone except for me." I tried to hide my sadness. She knows everyone, except for me..

After half an hour, her dad said, "We'll give you two some space." They both left the room. "Hey." She said. "Hey."I replied. Thoughts kept on coming.

We chatted, but like friends. Not lovers.
"When I get out of this crappy and horrible place, we're goning to walk together. As always." I didn't really heard the last part.
She held her head. "Ow.."she whispered. I rubbed her head gently. She slowly removed her hands and smiled.

As I was caressing her head, she kissed me on the cheeks. I smiled secretly. "Aww, he didn't notice." and she did it again.
"Do you know me?" I asked.
"Kind of."
"Oh."
"All I know is that you're Caleb, you're 18, you're my best friend." Best friend.

"Well of course you know my name, because I said it like a million times."
I fake smiled and continued to do what I was doing.

********************************************
Short chapter, sorry😬