03

MILES' POV

I don't know why, but ever since Bianca lashed out at me for not understanding what Alya's going through, I've felt awful. Maybe she's right. Maybe I am just a horrible person.

The feeling continues to eat away at me all throughout the morning as I get ready for school. I wish I wasn't such a douche bag. Even Bianca seems to notice my change in mood.

"Hey Miles, everything okay?" She asks as I half-heatedly eat my toast.

"Everything is fine." I mumble.

"Mmm okay." She responds, obviously not convinced.

I know I probably won't ever be friends with Alya ever again, but I at least want to get her to stop hating me. I continue to get ready, and eventually we both get in my car to pick her up.

This time when Bianca and I pick up Alya, I let her pick out any song she wants to play.

"Um why are you letting me choose?" She asks sounding almost a little suspicious.

"I'm just in a good mood I guess." I reply smirking.

She gives me another questioning look before finally complying, and scrolling through her long playlists on iTunes.

Alya doesn't slam my car door shut like she usually does today, so that's a good sign. Her and Bianca both seem to be very confused at my sudden "normalness" and to be honest, I'm a little confused too. I really do have no idea what's going on in Alya's life, and maybe something horrible could be happening.

I quickly mentally prepare myself before walking into the chemistry classroom where Alya's already waiting at our lab table.

"Do not be a douche. Do not be a douche." I quietly repeat to myself as I near her.

"Hey!" I greet her excitedly for a change.

"Uh hi." She says sounding suspicious again.

I don't want her to be suspicious about it, I just wish she could see that I'm trying to make some sort of effort to change.

"So, what are we doing today?" I ask, scooting my chair a little closer.

"We're testing these ionic compounds to see which one has the greatest density." She says scooting her chair away.

"Oh uh great." I reply sounding slightly uncertain.

"You have no idea how to do that, do you?"

"Nope."

"Figures."

I'm not going to lie, my feelings are a little hurt at her last statement. Her and just about everyone else think that I'm quite possibly the dumbest person on this planet. I can't tell her that though. I can't tell anyone.

I go to reach for my chemistry notebook only to find that it's not there. Crap. I must've forgot it this morning.

"Do you have the notes we can use for the lab?" She asks.

"I actually may have left my notebook at home."

"Miles." She sighs.