17

ALYA'S POV

Finally, the night of the dance has arrived, and as expected I don't have a date. Miles is going with Julie, and Bianca's going with Jax, but I have no one. Maybe it's my fault though. I still regret being that rude to Miles about Austin, so maybe it's all just karma.

As far as the whole towel dropping situation goes, not much has changed between us. I mean we haven't really talked since, because it was kind of awkward, but that was only a few days ago so he's probably still just kind of shocked about all of it. I hope. Unfortunately he's still with Julie as well.

Miles and Bianca both headed off with their dates a while ago but I've just stayed home debating on whether or not I should even show up. Who would even notice if I was gone anyways?

Finally, after sitting on the couch alone for about an hour, I make up my mind and decide that since I worked so hard to get the dress, I might as well go.

After climbing back upstairs, I slip on the baby-blue colored dress, curl my hair, and put on light makeup.

How sad is this? It's my first ever high school dance, and I'm heading there by myself, over an hour late. Whatever, I guess. I'm just going there for the food anyway.

I walk by myself, alone, along the cold, windy streets until I finally arrive at Keaton. I can hear the music blasting from the school, even from the parking lot. Who knows? Maybe this will be fun, maybe I could actually have a good time.

I walk up to the entrance doors, and walk through the hallways to get to the gym where the dance is held. I hand the chaperon my homecoming ticket and step inside.

I look around, seeing if I can find Miles or Bianca. Unfortunately when I do, they're both dancing and laughing with their dates. I guess I should just go find the punch in the back of the room.

After serving myself a cup, I sit down on the bleachers along with the other poor girls who don't have dates. Although I'm fine just drinking my punch, the majority of them are crying about the fact that they came to the dance alone. I didn't think it was that big a deal, but I guess it is to some people.

After waiting for around five minutes, I feel a tap on my shoulder. I expect it to be Bianca, but instead it's Miles. One look at him, and holy crap. He looks damn good in a tux. I audibly gulp before trying to talk to him.

"Oh, uh hey Miles." I greet him.

"Hey. You um, you look uh really pretty." He stutters, scratching the back of his neck.

"Oh, thanks. You look really good too." I say, scratching my neck as well.

After throwing away my empty cup of punch I notice that Julie's not around.

"Where's Julie?" I ask.

"Oh she went to use the bathroom. Besides, I wanted to come talk to you anyways." He replies.

"Really? Well, what'd you want to talk about?"

"Well I actually needed some advice. I'm thinking about breaking up with Julie."

"What? I thought you were happy with her."

"I was, but lately I can't stop thinking about someone else. I care about this someone else a lot, much more than I could ever care for Julie."

"Oh. Well if that's the way you feel, then I definitely think you should break up with her."

"That's what I think too."

"Good, but don't break up with her tonight."

"Why?"

"It's the night of the dance, do you know how much that would suck to be dumped on a night like this?"

"Good point."

"Yeah, I know."

"Well, since Julie's still not back yet, do you want to dance?"

"Sure."

Miles leads me away from the tear-filled bleachers and into the center of the gym where the other couples are dancing. Almost immediately after we arrive, a slow song begins to play. Well, this is awkward.

"You still want to dance?" I ask.

"Of course. I've wanted to do this for a long time."

"What?"

"Uh I mean, I've wanted to go to this dance for a long time."

"Oh uh okay."

Despite the awkwardness of our situation, nothing is awkward about the way he brings me into his arms, and presses his chest against mine, letting my head rest across his shoulder. I can feel his heart beating as quickly as mine, and his arms wrapping tighter around me as the song goes on. Everything feels... perfect.

BIANCA'S POV

Jax and I take a break from dancing once the slow song comes on. Who likes to dance during those songs anyway?

As I begin to chug down my cup of punch, I can't help but overhear Julie talking to her best friend Scarlett.

"Look at them. Miles won't stop talking about that whore." Julie says.

My eyes follow the direction of her pointed finger, and I can't help but awe at how cute Miles and Alya look. He looks the happiest I've ever seen him. It's meant to be, I know it! People need to start taking my matchmaking more seriously.

"Well Miles is with you, not her Julie. Don't worry about that tramp." Scarlett says.

"That's what I thought too. But get this, last night when Miles and I were having sex, he screamed her name. Not mine." Julie replies.

It takes a lot not to laugh out loud then and there. Karma's a bitch Julie.

ALYA'S POV

After the slow song, Miles decides it's probably time that he goes to find Julie so he doesn't seem too suspicious. Although it hurts to see him go, it's probably for the best. I need to start detaching myself from him anyway. He already admitted that he has strong feelings for someone else, and it's about time that I move on.

I still can't deny that tonight ended up being one of the best I've ever had. I just wish it was me that Miles was talking about when he was describing his feelings for someone else. But hey, a girl can dream right?