07

ALYA'S POV

I'm woken up from my nap by someone gently shaking my shoulder. I groggily turn around and I'm face to face with Miles.

"What is it?" I ask.

"Well um, I think we found a solution to your current situation."

"What do you mean?"

"My parents want to adopt you. That is, if you're okay with that-"

"Are you kidding me?! Of course I'm okay with that!" I exclaim and wrap my arms around him.

As I feel his body pressed so tightly against mine, tiny butterflies force their way into my stomach without my permission.

"Thank you." I mumble into his shoulder.

"No problem." He mumbles back.

We eventually break apart and decide that I should go get my stuff from my house while Miles's parents go fill out all of the necessary paperwork in order to get custody of me. As we arrive at my house the same familiar gritty feeling overtakes me. I can't help but take one last look around.

"So, you think you're going to miss this place?" Miles asks.

"No. I've never had any good memories here."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"It's fine, it's in the past now. Right?"

I go upstairs to my room to pack while Miles stays downstairs and explores different parts of my house. I make sure to pack the small amount of clothes that I have, and the crappy laptop that I almost never use. My parents never bothered to spend much money on me, and they definitely can't now.

They're dead. Both my parents are dead.

The realization hits me with a sickly feeling of dread, and I almost begin to feel as if I'm sinking in invisible quicksand, and there's no way out.

"Alya! Are you done yet?" Miles yells, snapping me out of my daze.

"Yep, I'm coming down now!" I yell back.

I come downstairs to Miles holding an old-looking picture frame in his hands and smiling at it.

"What's that?" I ask.

He turns it around to show me, and it's a picture of me singing in my second grade talent show.

"Aww look at you! Little baby Alya." He coos.

"Yep. That's pretty old." I chuckle.

"Why don't you sing anymore?" He questions, ruining my somewhat good mood.

"I- I... I really just don't want to talk about it right now. I'll tell you later, but right now is just a bad time with everything else going on."

"I understand. Take all the time you need." He nods.

He helps me carry the rest of my stuff into his car, and we drive back to my new home with Miles singing, and me humming along to high school musical songs. We unpack my stuff into the guest room, and I attempt to make it look like it somewhat incorporates some of my personality by changing the bedding and curtains.

Later in the day I realize that Miles has left so I go to hang out with Bianca.

"Hey." I greet her as I walk into her room.

"Hey." She replies, looking up from her phone.

"Oh yeah, uh did you know where Miles went?" I ask.

"He's off on a date with that Julie girl."

"Oh, right."

"Hmmmmmmm."

"What?"

"Does something about that bother you?"

"What do you mean?"

"Alya, do you like Miles?"

"What the heck, no!"

"Are you sure about that?"

"Positive. I want nothing to do with that scumbag."

"Woah woah woah, I thought you guys were getting along."

"We have been, but not like that. He flirts with almost every single girl in school. I can't like someone like that. Trust me, dating Miles is the last thing I want to do."

"Okay, I'll stop bothering you about that for now. But anyways, I do have some news."

"What kind of news?"

"Well, a singing contest is coming up at Keaton and it's a huge deal. A bunch of talent scouts are coming and the winner gets a record deal!"

"Bianca, I can't do that."

"Alya you have too! You have an amazing voice, and it's such a great opportunity!"

"I've already told you, I never want to sing again. You know it brings back bad memories."

"But you're at an arts school! And you're in the singing program! You have to eventually stop making up excuses for not singing in class."

"I don't know if I'll ever be able to sing again Bianca. I just... can't."

A/N

Hey guys! Thank you so much for all the support this story has gotten so far! You guys are all super nice and supportive, and I honestly couldn't ask for better readers. I know these past two chapters have been a little shorter, but I promise chapter 8 will be much longer! I hope you all have a wonderful day! (:

xoxo

hannah