2.

The next few months kind of just rolled by. We had started speaking to an immigration lawyer about getting me a green card based on us getting married. Basically, it was going to be a lot of hoop jumping. I would look suspicious because I'd come here with a short term working visa. The government would immediately think I had used the job as a way to get into the borders and then found someone who would marry me so I could get the green card. Especially considering my specific visa had some weird immigration rules attached to it involving having to leave the country before being allowed to move there for good. So we were going to need to prove that we were really, actually a couple. This meant statements from friends and family, photos of us together over a long period of time, things like that.

For that reason and also just because of how busy we were both going to be with work we decided to not have the wedding until I'd actually run out of the contract on my job. Which meant mid to late 2012. That way we'd be able to make sure we had a lot of documented back history.

It also helped make a rather frightening decision for us. As it got closer and closer to the release date for Captain America we had been going back and forth about how public we'd make our private life. We wanted to keep it to ourselves. Be private. I had no real desire to go to award shows, I didn't like watching them on TV and I thought the red carpet would probably set off my anxiety. I wanted to attend his film premiers with him, but otherwise that public stuff was scary and off putting for me.

We also didn't want our relationship to be seen as some weird dirty little secret to the public either, like he was embarrassed by me. So with this added pressure of needing to show the government we were together we decided to just not let it stress us out. We'd just go with whatever happened. If I came up in interviews in a way that wasn't too personal or prying he'd just answer, the way he did with friends 'yes, I am getting married', 'she's a massive nerd' that kind of thing. If I wanted to attend a public event with him, or he felt he needed me there, I would just go. If I didn't really care, and he wanted to take his mum instead, well that was fine too. If for some reason the paparazzi had thought seeing us out was something worth documenting, well that's some more evidence we're a couple. We wouldn't try acting differently when we were out than if we were home, we wouldn't let the outside world dictate how we were around each other.

His publicist wasn't actually happy to hear that news. She wasn't happy to hear about our engagement at all and had pushed Chris to keep it under wraps. She wanted him to appear single for his female fans and she really hated that if he was going to be seen with a woman it was going to be a nobody. She wanted us to push us as just friends and for me to not attend things with him.

I had a few weeks off teaching in March and so we went to Boston so Chris could be with his family. Carly had given birth to a second boy, Miles, and Ethan was walking now. He was just the cutest thing ever. Lisa was pressing us about the wedding. It was all just this amazing blanket of family that I was so unused to and I was becoming addicted to it. Chris was just magical around his nephews. He was smitten. He and Ethan were like best buddies who got up to mischief together and cooked up crazy plans. He'd lie on the floor with him and watch old Disney movies. Watching him made me want to tear my birth control right out of my arm and jump him so we could make some kids of our own.

Chris stayed a little longer in Boston than I was able, but we were both back in LA by the start of April.

We were spending a lazy Sunday morning in bed. Chris was supposed to be working out, and I was supposed to be doing lesson plans, but it was just one of those days when we were both just 'fuck that noise we're staying in here'.

I had my head on his stomach and he was reading to me his hands tangling in my hair. We were both partially dressed. Chris still had his boxers on and I was in the Spider-Man cami set I'd slept in. There was a knock on my bedroom door.