A Dinner Date and a Surprise

Steve was in is kitchen preparing dinner for him and his girlfriend Lynn. He and Lynn had been dating for almost 1 year. He liked Lynn, but he loved Catherine. ANd no matter what she did to him, he would always love her. And something in him told him that she felt the same.

After all the dinner was cooking, Steve set the table, opened the wine, then went upstairs to change. He put on a blue collared shirt, a black jacket and blue jeans.

A few moments after he walked down the stairs he heard a knock on the door. He opened it and saw Lynn. The first thing he noticed was her hair, she had cut it, gotten bangs. It looked really bad, but he couldn't say anything to her. Afterall he wasn't a total ass.

S: Hey Lynn.

L: Hey Steve.

S: I uh, I like your hair.

L: Thanks, I thought I would try something new.

S: Well it's definetly something.

Steve led Lynn into the dining room, where he had a beautiful candle light dinner set up. He pulled Lynn's seat out for her, then pushed her in once she sat down. Steve walked into the kitchen and picked up the two plates of food. He set down a plate infron of Lynn, then set down another one infront of himself.

As they ate Lynn and Steve engaged in light conversation, that was until the doorbell rang. Steve looked across at Lynn who had a look of dissapoitment on her face. Steve excused himself from the table, then walked over to the door.

He opened it just as Lynn got out of her chair to see who it was. Steve opned the door, only to see Catherine.

S: Cath.

C: Hey sailor.

S: Cath, what are you doing here?

C: The team called me. Told me you where depressed. They told me to come and help you.

S: Of course they did.

L: Hi.

C: Oh uh, hi.

L: I'm Lynn.

C: Catherine, nice to meet you.

L: Catherine? As in Steve's ex girlfriend Catherine? As in the one he was going to propose to?

C: He what?

L: Oh my god, you didn't know. I'm so sorry.

Catherine and Lynn waited in silence until Steve came back in the room. He started to explain what the team had said to him. He was about to start talking when out of jealousy, Lynn kissed him. Catherine looked away as though she didn't want to see it.

L: Oh, I'm sorry. have I made YOU uncomfortable?

S: Lynn!

Steve looked at Lynn, then at Catherine, who at this point had tears in her eyes.  He pulled Catherine outside by the hand, ignoring the digusted look he was being given by Lynn.

S: Cath, are you okay?

C: Yah, I'm, I'm sorry Steve. I shouldn't have come. I should have known you would have moved on. You deserve it. You deserve better then me.

S: No Cath, don't say that.

C: Steve, I know. I know what you where going to do before I left.

S: Oh. Wait did Lynn?

C: Yes. It was an accident.

S: Huh. Just out of curiosity, what would you have said?

C: I would have said yes.

Catherine looked at Steve who had a somewhat sad look on his face.  The only thought going through his head was how to get Catherine back.

Just the Lynn came out on to the deck and announced that she was going to leave. Before she closed the door she gave Steve a " don't you dare do anything look." Steve just stared at her.

Steve and Catherine sat on the dark patio. Neither of them talked. The only sound where the waves crashing on the shore.

C: Steve I think I should go. 

Steve didn't say anything. He just got out of his chair and opened the door for her. Together they walked through the living room to the front door. He opened it and Catherine stepped out, shutting the door behind her.

Steve heard her on the front porch taking out her keys. Then something sparked in him. He had to have her.  He flung open the door and ran outside.

S: Catherine! Wait!

C: Steve?

S: Catherine please don't go. I love you. Please don't go!

C: But Steve you're with Lynn.

S: Screw Lynn. I never loved her. I only loved you. Love.

C: Steve I, I dont what to say.

S: Just say yes.

C: To what?

S: To this marriage proposal.

C: Steve.

S: No Cath. I'm not letting you say no. I'm not letting you leave again.

C: Steve, I never needed a proposal from you. I just needs to know that you would support me with anything.

S: I will Cath. But I want you to do this for me. I love you, and I want more.

C: Ok Steve.

S: Ok?

C: Yes, I will marry you.