Chapter 14: Narrowed Down

The Monday after winter break

Sadie's is in less than a week away and it is the only thing on my mind right now. It's when I make my decision. Do I forgive Aspen? Do I give Zach a chance? Or do I start a frightening new journey with my friend for many years? It's all too much to think about at such an early time.

I finally decide it is time to wake up. I turn over  and feel the cool air rush over my body as the covers slide off. School is too damn early in the morning.

I grab my phone and scroll through the messages. I get the usual from Penny and Max. No messages from Aspen or Zach. I frown and lock my phone.

After going through my morning routine I grab my phone and run downstairs with my dirty blonde hair swaying back and fourth. At the bottom of the steps I'm greeted by my family's Golden Retriever-Sadie. She happily jumps on me (she's still a puppy) and I smile. Dogs are the best.

I grab a loaf of bread from the pantry and some eggs from the fridge and make myself breakfast. I sit down at our bar area and scroll through my messages; actually getting a chance to read them this time.
****
Penny: GOOOD MORNING GIRLY!

Max: Want a ride to school today?
Max: Katie?

****
I check my phone and realize these messages were sent 20 mins ago. He'd be leaving around now. I quickly call him.

"What's up K?"
"Hey! Sorry I woke up late and was scrambling around this morning" I lied. But he didn't have to know every thought going on inside my head. Especially when it had to do with him.
"No you're good! I'm already nearby your house. Are you ready?"
"Yeah of course! See you soon"

I hung up the phone and before I know it a white mustang with blue stripes pulled into my driveway. I grabbed my backpack, said goodbye to Sadie, and ran outside.

I opened the door to his car.

"Good morning"
"Good morning" I reply.

"Let's get this party started he exclaims"

I laugh and he begins to play our favorite song. He sings at the top of his lungs and wow he is off pitch. I laugh and watch him jamming out. He's so amused with himself. At the end of the song he smiles at me and we both laugh.

"You should play Swang" I tell him.
"You just want to hear my amazing singing some more don't you?" He smirks.
"Of course. It's American Idol material" I respond with a laugh
"Damn. You're cruel" We both laugh.

Another song comes on and we just listen to it for a minute. My mind begins to wander...

I like this. I like how this is. I don't want this to change. But he wants more and I know I do as well. And I know things would change even if I chose one of the other guys. Things would never be the same for us.

"Katie"

But the way he looks at me... and the way teases me... and how his hair looks... how his lips are just there and I want to know what they feel li...

"Katie!"

"HMM WHAT?!"

I realize we are in the parking lot at school.

"Come on we're going to be late"