Chapter 10: My Friend Max

The text I received was not from Aspen. It's sort of a long story but Max's family and my family are really close. We have known each other since we were born. And I'm not kidding when I say that. Our parents gave birth to us in neighboring rooms at about the same time. I think he was 15 minutes older, which he always teases me about.

Also, on some nights he comes and sleeps over at my house. We hang out and watch movies and eat a lot of food. My parents let him stay, they like him a lot.

I look at the text and it is from Max.

He asks me if I can sleepover tonight. He wants to talk ALL about Aspen and Zach. I think penny to him. That just makes my life a lot easier. At least I don't have to bring it up myself.

I reply with a "Yah sure!" and he says he's coming at 8. Sweet. I'm so happy it is friday tomorrow.

And yes we do have sleepovers on weekdays.

Later I receive a text from Aspen.

Aspen: Come to the football game tonight. I'm playing for you ;) for homecoming I'll pick you up at 7pm on Saturday.

Katie: Yah! Aww how sweet :) and ok. See you tonight!

****

I go to the game. We beat the Oxford Raiders 49-0. I haven't been to a football game in forever. Exocet that one time I went with Max. I can't wait until homecoming. Penny is supposed to be there with her boyfriend. I can't wait. JP and her make a great couple. They always hold hands and come up with funny inside jokes. The most recent one, "Don't touch my banana" makes me laugh every time. Her boyfriend is on our brother's hockey team as well. So she sees him frequently.

Nothing can happy to make me hate tomorrow. I'm sure of it.

***

It's three hours before homecoming. I've already done my markup and hair. Also I have laid my outfit onto my bed. I chose a blue dress. Earlier this week, I dropped off a tie at Aspen's house so he would know what kind of suit to choose.

I finished getting dressed and he picked me up on time.

****

When we arrived at the high school we meet up with JP and Penny. I introduced Aspen to the two lovebirds.

Aspen and JP shook hands and both put their arms around one of us.

We head out to the dance floor, everyone is grinding. Of course.

"Can you twerk?"Aspen smirks and puts his arms around me from behind.

"Hell yah" I turn around and look at him. He just laughs.

Penny and JP are already at it so Aspen and I do the same. After a few minutes Aspen says he has to use the restroom. JP does the same.

I got talk to penny and we talk about our amazing dates. She told me he already said "don't touch my banana" at LEAST a dozen times. A slow song plays but since we are alone we head out into the courtyard I am about to text Aspen when we run into JP.

"JP? I thought you were in the bathroom?"penny asks crossing her arms in front of her chest.

"Ah.. Yah. I Um. Went to get some fresh air for a sec." He fakes a cough.

Penny speaks quietly. "Babe we could have come out with you."

All his does is nod. In a sec he speaks quickly.

"Ah. We should go back inside. Now."

He waits for us to turn around but we don't.

"come on. It's cold out here."

We don't budge

I take. A glance over JP's shoulder and see Aspen. But he is not alone.