Chapter 3: The Project

*It is a new day and Katie has arrived to her English class. Of course Aspen was there, flirting with the popular girls.*

"Aspen," Katie speaks with calmness in her voice.

"Yah. What's up?" Aspen replies without hesitation.

"Did you do the work last night? I did my part..."

"Yah. Chill out," Aspen interrupts,"I've got everything handled.

With that I go and sit in my seat, waiting for class to start. I can't help occasionally glancing at Aspens slender but muscular body. He is so hot.

*Just then, a text message interrupts Katie's thoughts.*

Henry: So how is the "project" going?

I sigh with frustration and text back.

Katie: It is not a "project" it is a light project. -.-

The bell rings and I hide my phone under my desk.

Henry: sure...

I roll my eyes to myself.

Katie: now stop texting me. I'm going to get in trouble.

Henry: See yah Kate

I turn my phone off and hide it in my backpack as the teacher glances over. Phew. That was a close one.

"Hey. Are we going to get started?"

I quickly glance up to see Aspen standing in front of me, then I glance at the clock and see that class is almost half over. I didn't even know I was daydreaming.

"Uh... Umm yah. Sorry. "

I quickly got up and made my way to the computer while avoiding eye contact with Aspen.

"Something wrong?"

I feel a hand on my should. I shrug, sit down and start logging in. He removes his hand.

"No. I'm fine."

He just nods and sits down next to me. Thank goodness, that would have been a complicated story; one I do not want to tell.

**BOO DOO DOOO**

We hear the daily announcement ringer come up over the PA system.

"Good morning Woodrow High! Don't forget to ask that special someone to the homecoming dance this Saturday at 8. Purchase your tickets in the lunch room during your lunch period. Thank you and goodbye."

When I hear the word 'homecoming' my heart skips a beat. Will anyone ask me? Of course not.

"You going?" Aspen, yet again, has interrupted my personal thoughts.

"Un yah... Er I mean I'm not sure. You?"

"Yah."

My heart leaps. Is he going to ask?

"Umm. So. You wanna..."

Yes. Yes. Yes.

"...Finnish the problem tonight? I have a lot of work to do... An football practice."

My hurt falls all the way to the floor. I can't believe this. I actually thought he might ask.

I look at him and softly reply with no emotion, "yah. Sure."

"Thanks so much! I owe you one.

The bell rings and I leave the classroom behind me like a graveyard, a graveyard with my heart.