Chapter 9: "Now you know."

Tris☝☝

Chapter 9: "Now you know."

-IS SERIOUSLY? Tris screamed, practically spitting the toast he'd put into her mouth.

It was Monday, we were having breakfast and waiting for Jake to come for us. Who, by the way, had kept her promise by kissing Tris at the end of the date, which meant that when she returned she kept me awake until three in the morning, telling me how wonderful it was.

I was telling him about my departure with Alex, which had lasted only half an hour, because we were only talking about school things, and things about his family that I was interested in knowing, because I kept thinking something strange was happening. Then Alex received a call from one of his brothers, Connor I think, asking him to come home because they needed him in the workshop. We walked, but not before he talked to the owner asking for an interview for Monday, after school.

Well, you can not complain about Kels, it was an interesting Saturday.

I nodded and Tris narrowed his eyes.

"We will not have to give the owner a blowjob, right?" I looked at her with my eyes wide open and opened my mouth in surprise.

"No Tris, we will not have to give the owner a blowjob." Alex said he knew the owners. Can you trust him for a second?

She frowned.

"Kels, I do not trust them. Of none. Okay, the kid is nice and everything ... But Jake said that we do not trust them, so I do not. "I rolled my eyes.

"I do not care what Jake said, maybe he was trying to help or scare me or I do not care. This friendly guy is trying to help us because he likes it, and you keep thinking about what Jake said. How can I trust him? Because if we're fair, I know both Jake and Alex.

"It's very different." She glared at me. I trust Jake because I know him. You can not trust Alex, because you do not know anything about him. Why? Because he never talks about anything, neither he nor his brothers. How do we know they are not murderers of teenage girls?

"I just know. Something happens to them, but I'm sure they are not killers. Stop overdoing everything.

I dismissed the discussion. He was not willing to have her insult to Alex just because we did not know much about him and because his prized Jake had told him a million crap about how dangerous they were. I did not think Alex was dangerous, period.

But his brothers Kels ... are scary.

The doorbell rang and we both took our bags without saying a word, got out and left the building. Tris pounced on Jake hugging him and kissing her lips very softly.

This is disgusting.

"Hello." I nodded to Jake as they parted and he greeted me with his hand. He opened the doors of his car for us and started driving to school.

"What's new, Kels?" "I was still angry with Tris for what had happened and unconsciously I was furious with Jake for saying that nonsense about the Lawrence, brainwashed my best friend. Tris looked at me threateningly, conveying his thoughts of "Do not even think of saying a word, leave it to me."

But of course I'm going to have the pleasure of telling Jake.

"What's new?" I repeated thoughtfully. Well, on Saturday I went out with Alex to a bar in the center of town, and it turns out they're looking for waitresses, and as he knows the owners, he got us an interview with Tris for me this afternoon. It's exciting. "I saw the way he looked at me in the rearview mirror and instantly realized he was furious. Tris beside him glared at me again.

"Alexander Lawrence?" I nodded and watched his hands tighten on the steering wheel. That's great. I congratulate you.

What?

-What? The question came out of my mouth alone.

"I said congratulations." I looked in the rearview mirror and saw Jake trying to force a smile.

What kind of shit was this?

-You're not angry? Tris touched his arm and he turned to look at her, smiling the same way.

Well, Jake does not know how to lie, I suppose that's a point for me.

"I'm not angry. I resigned myself to the fact that Kelsey will not listen to me about the Lawrence, that's all. "I snorted.

Sure, now I'm the bad guy.

"It's not that Jake, we really need the job ..." Tris spoke up defending me and I rolled my eyes again. You know I want to be far away from them, they're scary.

Oh sure, when I say it, it's paranoia and I'm crazy and I have hallucinations. But when she says it is fine and the worst thing is that her boyfriend smiles. What does he know to say they are dangerous?

As soon as we arrived at the school I opened the car door and entered without waiting for the little lovebirds that had me fed up, to be honest. I took my things from the locker before Tris showed up and ran to the biology classroom.

I even forgot that I would see Aaron.

As if he could have read that he was thinking of him, he entered through the door to our table again.

Stupid heart that does not stop beating, calm.

"Hello," he said, as if he were the most normal looking at the notebooks he had left on the table.

"Hello." I nodded back and calmed my breathing a little.

He's just one more Kelsey boy, just one more kid.

-How are you? I dared to venture, waiting for an answer.

"Fine." And that was it. The bell rang and the students began to enter. Tris and Jake walked hand in gloom, looking at me in disappointment.

What was this? A reality show? Did they think they were my parents to tell me what I had to do? God.

The teacher came in and gave his boring class. And I got bored even more, because Aaron's eyes no longer saw me fixed, and although it was a great relief not to feel observed, I was a little surprised the way they harassed me.

Yes, she was crazy, but any girl likes to be looked at from time to time.

(...)

At lunchtime, to avoid Tris and Jake, and also because I wanted to, I went to find Alex to thank him for the great opportunity he had given us, even though he had already done so.

He did not know if he was alone, or with his siblings or was already in the cafeteria that was most likely. But I remembered her locker number because on Saturday she'd been complaining about how much she was standing next to the girls' room, since they all whispered things as they waited in line. I remember laughing very hard and he smiled.