Chapter 33 - Follow your heart (FINAL EDIT)

"But how? Why? I've never had any powers – I'm just a silly, uncertain, blonde girl in love with an impossible guy that's always just out of reach!"

Abbie thought her own voice sounded desperate and lonely. Was it true? Did she really love Felix? Did she really yearn for him that much?

"Perhaps his awakening has something to do with yours. Perhaps it's linked. Maybe it's this place and the lingering spirits. I don't know. I'm not a user of magic. I'm just a werewolf. More eloquent and better educated than most, but I don't know much more about magic than you do, Abbie."

"But Bella does," Abbie said. "Almost makes me wish she was here. I could have asked her."

"She isn't, and you should be glad. Bella is charming and clever, but she is also completely ruthless. If she was here, she might seem to be helping you, but she'd be looking for ways to help Bella more."

"But doesn't she love him?" Abbie tried. "Wouldn't she want to help him, rather than let him go to ruin?"

Greg fell silent, thinking. He replied after a while, speaking slowly. "I think she does. I've certainly never seen her obsess so much over any man. And he was the only one that could really get under her skin, make her lose control. So yeah, I guess she loved him. Probably still does."

"Why didn't she help him then!?"

"She didn't know how to, Abbie. She had that plan to bind him to her service. That would have protected him from the spirits. But like I told you, something happened to accelerate his awakening, and when he came, he had brought these youngsters."

"She should still have tried," Abbie said. "If she loved him. Truly loved him, she would have tried." She was sure. It was what Abbie would have done if she had even the slightest chance of saving Felix.

Greg sighed. "I guess. But she was afraid, terrified. I've never seen that before, ever. The prospect of the spirit... it really frightened her. And..."

"Yes?"

"She loves Felix, as much as she's able to anyway. I believe that. But Bella loves Bella more if you understand what I mean."

"I think I do," Abbie said. "She's always struck me as selfish, egocentric."

"You don't know the half of it, Abbie. And remember, she old, very old. Hundreds of years, if not more. To live for so long requires a certain instinct for self-preservation."

"I guess," Abbie replied, sounding unconvinced. "But if I'm this awakening witch, could we not do something together? Join forces against the darkness or something? Or she could teach me how to wield this power?"

Oddly enough, something along those lines was a key plot item in her own novel: the innocent young girl, begging the old sorceress to aid her in defending the kingdom from encroaching evil. In the story, the sorceress relented, and the girl went on to fight evil. And when it looked like everything was lost, the sorceress appeared and sacrificed her life so that the girl and the kingdom might live. And it turned out the sorceress was really her mother, and her father was really the old king and... what a bunch of hogwash. The first thing Abbie was going to do once she got off this mountain was to rewrite a whole lot of things. She'd keep a happy ending of sorts, but the mushy crap had to go.

"She wouldn't. She's very jealous of you. She'd rather see you and Felix dead than help you save him and live happily ever after."

"Jealous? Bella? Of me?" It made no sense. It was Abbie who was jealous of Bella, not the other way around. Every woman on this Earth was jealous of Bella. Of her beauty, her confidence, her style.