Chapter 11 - Graduation day (FINAL EDIT)

Teaching obedience is a lot like training a dog.

You have to be endlessly patient. You can't rush it – and you must be prepared to repeat the same lessons over and over.

I was patient: I had all evening, all night.

You have to be firm. Firm means unyielding. Means you are in charge. Means you have a plan. But do not make the mistake of equating firmness with cuelty.

I was firm: her bonds offered no hope of escape, my commands were absolute, there was no hint of hesitation in the execution of my duties as her Master.

You have to be willing to reward. Training without reward is not training but breaking. A different beast altogether. You must be generous with the rewards in the beginning, but as you progress, there can be less, as the anticipation of reward is as strong as the reward itself.

I was more than willing: making a helpless, horny girl come. Why would I not be willing? There was nothing to be gained by withholding praise or reward, yet so much to be gained by giving it freely.

If properly trained, a dog will look only to you for guidance, obey your every whim, and work hard to please you – if only for the hope of a reward, however small.

Granted, people aren't dogs – they are much smarter and more complex. I realize that. But obedience is simple, unconditional, animalistic – so must be taught with simple methods.

If you do not believe me, I will challenge you: take your own mistress and train her as I would have trained her. Then we shall see who was right and who was not.

What of punishment? Integral to obedience, you say?

I would beg to differ. Punishment is an old, outdated concept. You do not train dogs by striking them or otherwise punishing them. If there is punishment involved, is the withholding of rewards and – possibly – the disapproval of the master. That should be enough.

But really, if you need punishment, you haven't succeeded in your training. Stay your wrath and instead teach better. The fault lies with you, not her.

Fear?

I do not desire fear. I never claimed I did. Christina was not a student of fear. She was under my tutelage to learn obedience. Obedience is not fear, although fear can easily be substituted for obedience. The poor cousins of fear are humiliation and degradation – I want nothing to do with them, for they are only tenuously related to obedience, and not in a good way.

Pain?

That is different. There should be pain. You do not need pain as such, but it makes everything better, more worthwhile. If – and only if – it is applied correctly.

First, you must realize that pain is not punishment. Pain is a reward.

If you cannot grasp that, you will never be a great teacher. You'll be forever consigned to the league of brutes and sadists.

Pain should always be used in conjunction with reward. You must teach your student that from pain comes pleasure. If you do this, your student will learn to wish for pain. And eventually, the pain may become a reward in itself, and became the path to greater pleasures.

"You have done well, Christina," I said from behind her.

She lost her balance, but the ropes held her in place.

"You have done very well indeed," I said in a softer, more pleasant tone.

"Thank you, Sir."

I stepped closer, almost close enough for us to touch.