Chapter 18

Vanessa's POV--

I sat on my bed, my back propped against the wall. I was focused on drawing a picture, as the room was very quiet. Everyone was out and about after classes, so I finally have some spare time before supper. 

It was kind of eerie, sitting in the common room dorms by myself. The empty beds holding only the covers, the tables holding the items of their owners, and yet everything seemed almost abandoned. 

Honestly I was kind of nice, considering I'm almost always surrounded by gossiping girls. Apparently the newest big thing is that all the girls has their eye out for Draco Malfoy. I couldn't really see it but hey, whatever they fancy.

It wasn't until just half hour before supper when a girl came in. Lucy Mayers. She's become one of my closest friends in the last few years, other than the Golden Trio. She is slender, but has muscle, with long red hair and green eyes, and the most amazing Scottish accent. It's weird, considering we all have British accents here, but she said it was a long story. Maybe she'll tell me one day. 

Lucy came to my bedside, looking at me with her eyes bright and her hair a curly mess. She picks up my drawing journal from my hands, closes it, and sets it on the bed. She sits on the edge, and faces me. 

"Vanessa. Why do you just sit here? Why not go about like all the other girls?" She asks, her accent thick and horribly adorable as she tilts her head slightly. I can't help but smile, but I shake my head. 

"I don't know," I lie, as I look away from her. I hear her scoff, and grab my hands. I hadn't even noticed that I was tracing my scars. 

"Oh please, you are such a horrible liar." She says, giving me a large know-it-all grin. "Don't think you can hide it! It was one little mistake years ago, Vanny. Please move forward." She says, staring at me. 

"How would I do that, hmm?" I ask, raising an eyebrow. Her eyes glimmer for a second.

"There's a small party going on. Let's go! Maybe you'll find an interesting person!" She says brightly, a huge grin spread across her face. I bit my lip, rolled my eyes and finally nodded.

"Alright!" I laugh.

Just before supper started, I found my dad waiting for me in the Slytherin lounge room. I smiled as I walked up to him.

We walked towards the dinning hall, talking. I told him about the party and for a moment he was silent.

It wasn't until we reached the doors that he put his hands on my shoulders.

"I know you teens want to have fun, so do have fun. But I beg you to please be careful. I used to party so I can't tell you no, but I can tell you it can be dangerous. Especially with drunk boys. Okay?" He says, I smile and nod as we walk into the dinning hall.