Chapter 33

Vanessa's POV--

I walked with Draco and Lucy back towards the lake, as we had fourth hour off from classes. Lucy and I had originally wanted to go to the library once again, but I had received a letter from the Ambassador of Dragons of the Triwizard Tournament.

We reached the lake, and sat under me and Lucy's favourite tree. With a small pool of water infront of us, we took off our shoes and, ensuring our clothes didnt get wet, wadded around in the mid-calf-high water. It was a beautiful sunny day, and our quiet wade soon turned into a splash contest.

Once finished our little shinanigan, we clambered back to the bank and sat under the tree again. I sat in the divit between two roots and leaned up against the tree. Lucy sat down by my feet, resting her back against the large root. Draco sat himself down on a stone just across from her.

"Alright, that was a good way to start things off." Lucy says, sighing heavily. Draco looks between us, his face showed puzzlement but his eyes seemed expectant. I nodded my head and sighed, bringing out my latest letter from the Ambassador. Lucy throws me a quick glance, sorrow filled her eyes.

For a brief moment, I was lost to the world. Sudden realization hitting me, Lucy and I were separating ways and would continue on our own journeys. My own journey would lead me down a path of education, thrillment, and dragons. A life were I could spend my days with the beasts of sky. Hers?...Lucy's own journey consisted of battle, loyality, faith and possibly death. Neither of us knew for certain, but we very well may never see eachother again once we part ways. My heart ached for a moment, thinking of the idea of loosing my closest friend. Granted, the way she would go would be honourable, and would prove to everyone that she was pure of heart and of faith and loyalty to her people and her home. I couldn't imagine any other way for this spirited, young Scottish warrior.

I twirled the letter in my hands, looking at it like it held my own expiration  date.

"Thats from the Ambassador of the Triwizard Tournament..isn't it?" Draco asks, looking at me expectantly. I nod my head, looking up to look between him and Lucy.

"There was word going around about it. Is it true that you were accepted?" Draco asks, and once again I nod.

"Yes, Draco. The Ambassador and I have been keeping in touch, and this letter should contain the date of my arrival for training. It will...it will give me an idea of when I will be officially leaving Hogwarts." I say, he nods looking down. I turn to Lucy, her sad eyes still shone brightly.

"Are you sure you don't want me with you?" I ask, she looks puzzled for a moment but quickly clues in. She sighs.

"Honestly, lass, I'd love you to be there. But it is my home, my battle, and it is not your responsibility." She says, then smiles, "but I will call upon you if I need you." I return her smile graciously, and glance at Draco who looks lost in our conversation. But then again, we haven't even told him about Lucy's journey either.

"We should probably fill him in." I say, Lucy looks over at him and ponders for a moment.

"What's going on with you?"he asks, not intentionally sounding alittle annoyed. She rolls her eyes before she begins.

"I, too, will be leaving Hogwarts. I have news from my homeland that it is threatened by our nemesis. With them it is said to be a secret weapon that, if it is true, can wipe out my village. But it may not be a what but a whom. A ancient wizard group known as the Barus. I am the strongest fighter and most talented witch of my home, I am the only thing my home has between life and death. It is my responsibility to retain my faith and loyality to my people and fight for, and alongside, them til my last breath." Lucy says, pure determination glued itself to her words as her thick Scottish accent kicked in, thus proving herself utmost sincere. Draco nods, staying quiet.

"I will be going off to train with dragons as she waits for her time to go home. From there, I will await her word for when she needs me. When she calls upon me, I will be standing beside her for her people." I say, Draco nods again, no doubt his mind wondering.

I folded over the note in my hands, undid the envelope and straighted out the letter. The curved italic words decorated the page, and the faded imprint of a dragon stood proud and fierce at the bottom corner. I proceeded to read the letter aloud:

Dear Vanessa Snape,

As my newly appointed apprentice in Dragon care and knowledge, it is my pleasure to announce your offical date. But first, let me say that your
determination and unwavering interest in this subject is most admirable. I simply cannot wait to work with you, and am excited to see where this journey will take you.

You will be primarily under the eye of my top one pupil, Jacob Heresby. He is second to me, and will be most advantageous to you. He is excited to work with you, and is eager to share his wisdom.

We expect you to arrive at our Dragon Head Quarters in __________________
on January 25th. I'm sure that will give you enough time to enjoy friends and family before continuing on this path.

Cheers,

Ambassador of Dragons

I looked up at Draco and Lucy, having finished reading my letter. I sigh, both happily and sadly. This is not how I thought my time at Hogwarts would end.

"Well, I guess this will be our last Christmas together." Lucy says, I nod.

The three of us sat quietly under the tree, taking in everything.

It was time for a new begining.