Chapter 28

Vanessa's POV--

We sat quietly for a moment, letting her words fill the air around us, the words winking in like a bite to the flesh. For a moment, my mind tried to believe it was some joke she was playing, but the unquestionable sincerity of her words hung in the air.

The wind swayed around us, trying to wash us of the heavy words, but it failed in it's attempt. The words that were transferred between us were pf a serious matter, and one could only dream of such an easy solution.

"How are you going to defeat your village's enemy?" I ask her, finally breaking the silence. She closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and for a moment just listened to the wind.

"Plan-wise not sure. All I know for sure is I will gladly lay down my life to save my village, and if that is truly what it takes, then I accept it." She says, dignity and an unwavering loyalty encasing her voice.

I drew a breath, and sighed. There wasn't much I could say, to be completely honest. So I turned to her, and said the one thing any true friend could say:

"Well, you can't go in blind. So in our spare time, we'll do some research. Expand our techniques, and practice until you do leave." I say, hopping down from the stone wall. She looks at me curiously. "What? There's bound to be something on the Barus or the 'secret weapon' wizards. " I simply say, before heading off down the dirt road.

"Now come on, we don't want to be late for supper." I say, trying to add in a chuckle to lighten the mood. And it worked, since she ran up beside me, looped her arm through mine, and giggled.

We walked at a decent pace, taking in the profound beauty of our surroundings. I guess when you finally realize that you are leaving somewhere dear to you, you start to notice how beautiful the place really is. And so, we admired the view all the way back to Hogwarts grounds.

We reached the hallways of the school, and made our way through the clamber of students. They were noisy, and obnoxious but the majority of them stayed out of our way. Except one, sort of: Draco Malfoy.

He had been standing with his friends when Lucy and I were making our way down the hallway. With his body towards us, he glanced away from the open window to us, then back to the window just to do a double take.

His eyes seemed to soften, and then perplex into some hardened emotion like shame or guilt. His arms uncrossed from his chest, and he drew in a breath. And, to be fair, the double take he did kind of made my heart skip a beat. Part of me wanted to talk to him, to reconnect whatever cinders were still left on that fire, before I was to leave Hogwarts.  But we continued walking.

Right outside the dinning hall doors, I looked over at Lucy, and said the one thing I should have from the start.

"If you ever need help over there, let me know. Or I can come with you from the start."

She paused, then smiled at me.