~~~~~~~~~~~~Horror~~~~~~~~~~~~

That night, Up thought about what had happened in the rehab office. He was so relieved that he’d been strong enough to push Chloe away, and now he was pretty sure what she was up to, but that wasn’t really the part he was concentrating on. It was what she’d said about Taz that was bugging him. His gut feeling was that she was wrong, but the most rapidly growing parasite is an idea, so though he hated the idea that Taz was with another guy, he couldn’t help it growing in his mind. He eventually fell asleep, but from exhaustion, not contentment.

“And now, I am excited to announce... the squad of Starship 48 C9 who are the stars of this award ceremony!” the over-enthusiastic voice of the man on the stage hushed everyone in the hall. Up found himself in the main hall of the G.L.E.E base, but it was kitted out with banners and ribbons and lights. He was clapping now, like everyone else- who were they clapping?

Wait, 48 C9 was the ship Taz went on. He realised that he was watching the team Taz went with on the mission walk up on stage. His eyes scanned through the group until they finally found her: she looked absolutely stunning (though she did every day in his opinion). She was wearing an ocean-blue satin dress which flatteringly fell down to her knees. It had a slightly lighter coloured underskirt which just showed at the hem of the dress, and her long gloves matched it. He watched her in awe as she stood looking absent-mindedly into the crowd, in line with the rest of the team: the only girl, mind. He didn’t even pay attention to the multiple speeches being given by faceless ensigns and privates. It was only when her name was called that he snapped back to what was happening. He watched her walk up to the announcer and accept her medal, and step up to the microphone.

“I want to say that I’m so glad de mission was a success, and I’m proud of de whole team,” she smiled back at the line, something actually quite unlike her, “and I want to thank all de people who helped the team, and me, to concentrate on getting de job done.” What? Up knew Taz hated that saying- she always said it was too cheesy.

“And dat includes Commander Hibbart, obviously, and de rest of de team, mi mama y papa,” she looked to the sky as she said this. This was too strange: Taz never spoke about her family to anyone other than him, “and of course my boyfriend,” Up’s heart swelled and his eyes lit up, “Sam, I love you.” As soon as his heart had doubled in size it shrunk and shattered into a million pieces. Lieutenant Sam? He was now watching Taz run down the stage steps and jump into Sam’s arms.

He tried to shout out to her but he felt like there was an invisible concrete wall in front of him. He couldn’t move. He couldn’t cry out. He couldn’t run up and punch the guy in the face. He couldn’t breathe. He couldn’t break down. He couldn’t register the fact that she suddenly had hair down to the middle of her back when she’d only been gone a year. He couldn’t do anything as he lifted her up and spun her around, then put her down and tickled her under the chin, making her laugh. He couldn’t show the crushing horror that struck his heart, and that must’ve surely been worse than death, when she put her hands on his shoulders and he put his hands around her waist, and she pulled his head down and kissed him passionately. He couldn’t even look away.

“No, Taz, please. Taz- I... NO!” He shot up in bed with tears already streaming down his face. He put his head in his hands and willed himself not to think about what he’d just seen.

It was just a dream, it was just a dream. Don’t worry, Up- she’s not going to do that. It was just a dream, it’s not real, it’s not real...it’s not real...it’s not real... nothing like that’s going to happen...

Was it?