Section 1 - Article 14

Article 14 - The real point of education

This article was originally written as part of a monologue from a character for "The Interplanetary Visit 2 – The Mysterious Visitors within". In this monologue, the character talks about his own motivation for dabbling in many disciplines and fields with respect to God's kingdom.

Qualifications such as PhDs, Masters and even faculty positions mean nothing. They are but stepping stones to find out the truth or to uncover things. To some, it may be a means of survival or to improve certain aspects of life, but philosophically, academic research is geared towards uncovering the Truth. Sad to say, many well-known researchers never find the solution or cure to the main question they seek. This is because the things of the world are a mysterious bundle, interwoven, multi-disciplinary and complex. Professors and academics approach a particular question from a specific point-of view when in actual fact, multiple perspectives are necessary to truly find the answer. This is especially so for the academic sciences where the mainstream science had branched off to too many fields. A professor in HIV proteins research may stumble slightly when it comes to the details of HIV resistance or cycle, and even more so on another lentivirus. The branches of modern science have become so very narrow that the solution would require multiple specialties and expertise that may not be achievable in one lifetime by a single person. Even if there was ever a scientist that understands everything there is to know about the virus itself, the picture becomes much more complex when the host is involved. How the host will attempt to rid the virus, and how things interweave including psychology, neuroscience, endocrinology, and cytokines add extra dimensions that make this question more complex. Even if one specific field of research ever does reach the pinnacle, there are always questions to ask, and always things to uncover.

Why is something as tiny as a virus so complex? This is because they are the mysteries of God. The Creator is saying very subtly, "Even if generations after generations of learned scholars and experts come together to unravel the simplest of my creations, it would take you a long long time.... if ever."

If God can be foolish, man's wisdom is still far from God's foolishness. To learn things is to appreciate the mystery of God. Mysteries can be appreciated without being solved. The complexity and simplicity of the simplest of God's creation can be appreciated by much knowledge. But with knowledge, should not come complacency because man cannot compare with God, ever.

Throughout history, the Bible has challenged human wisdom. Workings of the world have been unexpected and incomprehensible to human wisdom.

A king was expected, but a carpenter was received.

A revolution of an empire was expected, but a spiritual revolution was received.

A victorious king was expected, but a crucified teacher was received

A great army/warrior to fight was expected, but an elderly man holding a staff with 10 plagues was received.

A great ally was expected, but a victory with an army at least a-tenth of the enemy was received.

A great strategy was expected, but trumpet sounds that destroyed a citadel were received.

Death in dungeon was expected, but deliverance was given.

Death was expected, but eternal life was given.

A crushed nation was expected, but a revived nation was given.

Punishment was expected, but mercy was received.

Many expect qualifications to lead them to do great things, but modern society tells us that the richest people and most successful people in the world are not necessary even degree holders. Despite this, people still falsify their faith in qualifications, education, and academia. Should not the attention be to the One who has all the answers?

Would not most research in the world be pointless in paradise where there is no unhappiness, no sickness, and no pain? Would there be a need for medical research if no one ever fell sick? Would there be a need to know history and philosophy of Man if God was dwelled amongst us? Would there be a need for social sciences, politics, religions or law if God's standard is established? Then ponder the point of pursing these qualifications? There is none unless you want to seek and appreciate the mysteries of God.

Philosophy will never have a conclusion. It will be debated, argued, but there will never be a conclusion or a hard and fast rule. The same is for most subjects in humanities, because Nature and history are too complex. Can history really be accurately reconstructed given that events are constantly challenged with new thoughts and new ideas, as well as new archeological evidence? Will there be a conclusion to the philosophy in subjective interpretation? Similarly, in literature, will we ever really know what the author intended, or his experiences and desires are? Are we sure we are not over or under interpreting?

Physical sciences will try and try, but they will never get a full picture of any phenomenon, because only a perspective within a discipline can be given. Would science provide cures to disease? Yes, but not without other consequences and ecological and biological side-effects. Will there ever be a drug with no side-effects? To that, I reserve my comments.

There are also many who rely purely on academic qualifications. Should not the reliance be on God? If I am doing something for you, do I not ask you how I should do it or what I should do, rather than rely on my textbook or what I think is best? God has gone against conventional wisdom of Man once too many times. And it disturbs me to see people feeling great and powerful after some human award. Who gave the award? Man. Man awarding man. Isn't that precarious to having the blind lead the blind? Should not recognition come from higher powers? Should not recognition and satisfaction come from the real boss - God? Or has Man already claimed to be the greatest creature in the universe?

Those that are truly great in God's eyes are those who truly appreciate the mystery and complexity of their subject, one who truly loves it and pays little attention to awards and achievements but works simply to discover and understand the mystery. These academics are also the ones who are truly happy, and are willing to work with little material gains. And often, they are more successful than those that chase after success itself.

He who thinks himself great is actually not, whereas he who knows himself to be weak is actually great.

Self-consolation, self-deception, and self-gratification

It is only useful if it is used to appreciate the mysteries of God.