Section 1 - Article 27

Article 27 - Mel Gibson's 'The Passion of Christ'

This article addresses the divinity of Mary the mother of Jesus. It also addresses some thoughts that are not validated by the Bible. Using Mel Gibson's 'The Passion of Christ' as a basis, this article also addresses the lack of biblical accuracy in many so-called Bible films and rebuts the justification of using the crucifixion of Jesus for anti-Semitism.

Although the Passion of Christ was the most "torture accurate" of the crucifixion process, it is also far from being accurate as Mel Gibson claimed. Neither were most of the other Jesus films for that matter. According to the gospels, yes, Pontius Pilate did wash his hands symbolically to show that he would be innocent of Jesus' blood, but the very important scene where the crucifiers cried "His blood be upon us and our children" were left out. In fact, from the other Jesus films, the whole scene of Pilate declaring his innocence of Jesus' blood was omitted. It is highly disappointing that there is no Biblically accurate Jesus film. There was no biblical account for the scene where Mary's (Theotokos - God-bearer) reminisced little Jesus falling and scraping His knee as depicted in the Passion of Christ. The extra scenes were added for cinematic effect. Nonetheless, it is conceivable that Mary (Theotokos)'s heart was breaking as any mother's would.

Personally, the most common inaccuracy of all Jesus films, was the portrayal of Mary Magdalene as the prostitute that Jesus saved from being stoned. From the gospels, there was no reference to her as the prostitute. She was also not the wife of Jesus as suggested by the "Holy Grail conspiracy". She was historically, a follower of Christ.

Mel Gibson also had soldiers rip off Jesus' clothes. However, according to the gospels, it was not ripped off, but was cast lots for. This was an important detail as it was a fulfillment of the prophecy of the Messiah made by Isaiah (6-800 BC) that the Savior's clothes will have lots casted for. What bothered me was further was that the movie depicted the breaking and dislocation of Jesus' arms before nailing His hands. One of the Old Testament prophecies about the Messiah was that none of the Messiah's bones will be broken. This was also fulfilled where Jesus was dead on the same day of crucifixion since survivors of the crucifixion had their legs broken (to choke themselves under their own weight) so that they will not hang on the cross over the Sabbath.

The blinding of the unrepentant thief was also not biblically accurate as was the missing scene where Jesus called out to God, "Eli, Eli, Lama Sabachthani". Also importantly missing was that the temple veil was ripped from top to bottom. Despite limited movie time, the "Passion of Christ" movie had a lot of time for unnecessary scenes like those with Satan moving around.

The highly mistaken interpretationto being upset with the Jews from viewers of the 'Passion of Christ' was reallyuncalled for. Jesus is a Jew Himself, so were Mary (Theotokos), all his 12disciples, and most of his supporters in the crowd who loved him. It was not aracial discrimination. Jesus is aJew, crucified by the Jews, and also loved by the Jews (his mother anddisciples). So it is really foolishness to be upset with the Jews for killingJesus when it should not be looked at it that way at all. If the basis forbeing upset with Jews is that they killed Jesus, then there is the fundamentalbelief that Jesus was special, such as being God Himself who taught us to loveone another. In fact, one must rememberthat God chose to be incarnate as a Jew, and that it was emphasized in the NewTestament that "salvation came from the Jews". A true Christian willnot hate and discriminate against the Jews or anyone else for the sake ofChrist. We must remember that all of the Old Testament prophets were Jews, andthe accounts were centered on Jewish history and Jewish kingdoms.