Section 1 - Article 24

Article 24 - Heroes

This article was written as a reflection on the heroism of Jesus Christ, and by analyzing the concept of hero, show that He is the real hero of all time despite dying on a cross.

There are not many Hollywood movies that portrayed the making of heroes and companions better than 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy. Heroism could not be better explained in the end of 'The Two Towers' by the character Samwise Gamgee. According to Samwise, stories that stick to people's head, heroes that were always sung of, were those of individuals that persevered to keep going, despite the many hardships when they could turn back.

I suppose it is also true that only those who succeeded and won were celebrated, thereby earning the title of Hero. Yet what comes to mind was that historically, there was a man who did not tear down anything but was regarded a hero. If anything, it appeared that He lost his case and was crucified. An anti-hero perhaps?

It is very unusual and weird to celebrate such anti-heroes. Although this particular anti-hero persevered, no visible victory was achieved. If anything, He submitted to His death sentence. There was no prison break accompanied by the killing of the evil judges and enemies with a bang like in certain movies. In fact, it is illogical that Jesus of Nazareth would even be celebrated as God. No visible empire was brought down, no tyrant or dictator was destroyed. In fact, there was no obvious sign of victory regardless of how you look at it through the lens of Hollywood expectation. Even if the resurrection was accepted by everyone, there was no victory or downfall of any dictator or regime. In comparison, even the deathless heroes of politics demonstrated change in policies or uprisings, but in the life of Jesus of Nazareth, there was no collapse of any system. Humans continued to die after the so-called defeat of death. Surely something must be wrong?

How then can the Lord Jesus Christ be considered a hero? The Roman Empire did not collapse due to reasons directly linked to the death or resurrection of Christ. Instead Nero persecuted Christians in the very Coliseum that stands in Rome now. Why then do Christians and the followers of Christ die for the belief of a hero that has done nothing visible? In fact, to the unbeliever, the life of Christ was filled with fables and stories that go against the idea of a God and King? Resurrection? Calling people back from the dead? Healing the sick without medicine or rest? Multiplying bread and fish to feed people? Walking on water? Casting out mythical demons from crazed individuals? Oh come on! Illogical, unrealistic and impossible! And what did Jesus actually teach? He quoted the Hebrew Scriptures, the only thing really exciting and new was only the interpretation of the very same scriptures. So no, Jesus was not only not a visible hero, He did not start a new religion per se, nor did He bring more new stories of creation or of the prophets and performed any deed expected of a Hollywood big hero and the savior of the world.

In this sense, surely Jesus of Nazareth is a very doubtful hero, doubtful prophet, doubtful God incarnate. Why do Christians claim Him to be Lord and God? Even if everything historical was accepted and validated, He did not save the Jews nor any nation did He? Surely, Buddha and Joseph Smith were also historical. No one really contests the existence of Siddhartha, nor Joseph Smith. And whilst there is clear historical evidence of Jesus, the stories around Jesus were much more incredible and counter-intuitive than those surrounding the historical founders of other religions.

What is wrong with Christians? Why is it that during the time of the early Christians (people that see and know the almost mythical accounts of Jesus) believe the Lord Jesus to the extent of being tortured to death? Surely, despite being predominantly the poor and uneducated, logic and sense must prevail at the very least? Especially on the pain of death, these people must realize their foolishness? Even the time before Jesus was 30 was not recorded. What was He doing? What did He do? There was no record in the scriptures except for one single incident when he was 12. Surely, that is a hole in the so called account of Jesus. How can we trust incomplete accounts, and all so mysterious and mythical?