Chapter 8

By Saturday, Killian was feeling 100% better. He was able to move things with his mind again. But, Victor and Regina both advised that he waited until Monday to get back on the streets. That he should use the weekend to recover. He didn't argue. He didn't want to have to rush out on Emma during their date. So, he was going to take it easy. The Mind hadn't shown up for one week, and the crime started to pick up in the city again. But, Killian knew that it was all going to change on Monday. He was ready to go out and fight bad guys, break up deals, bust drug deals, and save people. It was a rush. One that he loved.

They met at a seafood place near the docks. When Killian walked in, he grabbed a red rose from a nearby vase and went to his table. Emma hadn't gotten there yet. He didn't expect her to. He was five minutes early anyway. He grabbed his phone and scrolled through the Springtide City news page. He looked through the crimes that had happened. As he was scrolling, he found a particularly interesting article about The Mind.

'Citizens are worried about The Mind. Our hero hasn't shown his presence for one week, and citizens are worried that he was captured, killed, or if he has abandoned us. Please, Mind, if you are out there, come back. Your city needs you.'

"Hey," a voice greeted him. He looked up to see Emma sitting down. His jaw dropped. She was wearing a light green dress that ended at her knees with short sleeves. Her blonde hair was pinned over her shoulder.

"Emma, hi. You look... Wow."

She laughed. "Thank you." She sat down and put her matching clutch purse on the table. "You look..." She trailed off, speechless about how he looked.

He smirked. "I know." Emma laughed. "Shall I order us some drinks?"

"Sure," she replied, looking over the menu. "Wow."

"What?" He asked curiously

"Uh, n-nothing. Just these prices-"

"Don't worry about them. Trust me, I can afford it." Emma nodded and looked down to the menu again. "Red or white?"

"Red please."

After the drinks came and they had ordered their entrees, Killian leaned back in the chair and smirked at her. "Tell me about yourself, Swan."

"Well, I have a career as a police detective. I have been all around he United States and have met a lot of people." A smile formed on her face. "And today is my birthday."

"Oh, happy birthday, love! I will make sure that this is your best birthday yet."

"You don't have to, Killian."

"Ah, ah, ah. I don't mind." He reached across the table and grabbed her hand, then brought it to his lips and kissed her knuckles.

"Tell me something about yourself, Killian," Emma said, taking a sip of her wine.

"Well, I wanted to ask you out ever since I met you because I could see something in your eyes. Something that told me you were just like me. Abandoned."

"You don't know me."

"I can tell that you aren't like the rest. You have what you call a superpower, to tell if someone is lying to you or not. Mine is reading people. We are more alike then you'd care to admit. I was abandoned as a child. I only had my brother to raise me until I was eighteen before he passed away as well."

"I'm sorry, I didn't know."

"It's okay. But the thing I'm trying to say, is that I want us to become friends."

"I'd like that, Killian." She smiled and they continued with the date. After they had eaten, a small brownie with whipped cream and a cherry on top was placed in front of her. She laughed as she pointed to the dessert. "It is a very sweet gesture, Jones, but I don't think I could eat another bite."

"Come on, love. Treat yourself."

She giggled and grabbed her fork. "Mmm, fine." Taking a bite, Emma moaned again, "now that is delicious."

"Fantastic."

She pushed the plate towards him. "I can see your mouth watering. Help me finish it."

"Thank you, darling, but I am fine."

"Go ahead, Killian. Please. I can't eat it all myself."

He sighed. "Alright, fine. But only because I can tell that you won't drop the subject." He dug his fork into the dessert and ate it, licking the cream that was on his lips. "Okay, that is good," he agreed.

Once the two had finished the brownie, Killian walked Emma out to her car. "Tonight was a lot of fun. Thank you. And it does top my list of birthdays."

"Good."

Emma bit her lip and tilted her head to the side. "I have a whole season of Stranger Things to watch. What would you say about watching it with me?"

He chuckled, "I'd like that. I'll follow you?"

"Sure."

They got into their cars and started the drive to Emma's house. Killian followed her the entire way. He parked next to her car in the hotel parking lot and they went up to her room. Emma put a bag of popcorn in the microwave while Killian was in the bathroom. She went into the bedroom to change into more comfortable clothes. When she came out, Killian was putting the popcorn into a bowl. She settled onto the couch with her laptop and brought Netflix up. He settled in next to her and put his arm on the couch behind her. She pressed play and they watched the show. By the third episode, both Emma and Killian were fast asleep.