Chapter 11

Emma had been relaxing all evening Wednesday. She had had a busy day at the precinct with going over files and cases to get a feel for the criminals in town. Then, there was the clumsy lab tech's assistant who had spilled hot water all over her in the afternoon. Killian hadn't been answering any of her calls or text messages, and she had texted him all day throughout the day. She figured it was because it was a busy day at his boat rental business, but it was now 5:00 in the evening. He should have made contact with her somehow. The noisy window washer had been washing her windows from the outside for five minutes now, and the constant noise was driving her insane. When there was a pounding sound on her window, she sighed and looked over, almost choking on her tea at the sight. The man was dangling from the contraption that hung outside her window. He was scared to move. She could see it in his eyes. Emma couldn't open the window without knocking the guy down to the ground, probably paralyzing him for the rest of his life.

She grabbed her phone, ready to call the police department, fire department, anyone, when the guy was lifted into the air. He was hovering in the air over the platform. She ran to the window and looked down to the ground to see a male figure in a silver suit, looking up at the man.

The Mind.

She couldn't believe it! The Mind was right below her! She watched in awe as The Mind lowered the window washer guy to the ground, before jumping up onto a windowsill. He looked right at her window before jumping over, closer to her. Emma's heart was in her throat. Surely the guy wouldn't come over to her. She hadn't done anything. She had just gotten 911 on the phone when she noticed that the guy was flying in the air. She watched The Mind as he jumped up the windowsills until he got to a rooftop and vanished. It felt as if Emma could breath again. After hearing so many tales about The Mind, she finally saw him. Maybe one day, if she was lucky, and she would be able to see him up close.

Emma got into her pajamas- a pair of old sweatpants and a t-shirt, and settled onto the couch with a glass of wine. She grabbed the remote and was about to turn the television on when the lights flickered once. She looked around and gasped when she saw the man in a silver suit. She put her glass down and stood up straight.

"Emma Swan," he spoke in a deep voice. "I understand that you've been wondering about me."

"It's a general curiosity I guess. I'm new in town and I've heard so much about you. You save people's lives. You can't blame me for being a little curious."

He chuckled. "No, I suppose I can't. But, I have to tell you that what you are getting yourself into is dangerous. No one can know my secret."

"I'm not asking you to remove your mask or tell me your identity. I like a little mystery."

"What I'm saying, is that you can't be curious about me. I have enemies. If they happen to find out about you, you can be in a lot of danger."

Emma nodded. "It really means a lot for you coming to meet me. How'd you know I was curious about you in the first place?"

"This is my city after all. I have to protect it, and that means listening to everyone in it." He winked at her and the lights flickered again and he was gone.

Emma sighed and grabbed her phone. There still weren't any messages from Killian. It worried her. Was he okay? Was he hurt? Had something happened to him today that could have put him in the hospital? She shook those thoughts from her head and sent him a 'goodnight' text and she drank the rest of her wine and went to bed. Just as she was drifting off, she got a text. She cracked one eye open and smiled when she saw his name on the screen.

'Hey, love. Sorry I didn't answer you today. I've just been really busy. I just got back from my friend's house. I'm sorry I missed your texts. I'm sure you're asleep now, but I wanted to tell you goodnight.'

She smiled at his sweetness and put her phone back on the nightstand and drifted off to sleep.

In the morning, Emma went into the police precinct and went to her little cubicle. It was still bare. All that was there that actually belonged to her was a coffee mug that she forgot to take home. She opened up a case file and started reading it. She noticed that the cases that took place in some of 2014 and any year before that, The Mind hadn't appeared anywhere. It made her wonder if he had moved to the city or if some crazy experiment had been done on him so he could get his powers like they did in the movies. Pushing all thoughts about The Mind aside, she got back to work.

A paper bag and a cup of coffee was placed in front of her on the desk. She looked up to see Killian with a smile on his face. "I hope me bringing you breakfast makes up my behavior for yesterday," he said, scratching at a spot behind his ear.

"It depends on what you got me." She opened the bag and grabbed the bear claw. "We're off to a good start, Jones." She grabbed the cup and took a sip of the coffee, moaning at the taste. "And you got my coffee right. How'd you know?"

He shrugged. "Lucky guess. I hope you enjoy your food, but I have to get going." He leaned down to kiss her cheek. "I'm running a little late, but I can't wait to see you for our date."

"Me either." She waved him goodbye and turned back to the case file, humming happily to herself as she ate her donut and drank her coffee.