Open Your Eyes, It's Just a Dream

I stared up at the black ceiling. Invisible shadows danced across the walls surrounding me. I chewed on my lip and pulled my thin sheet up around my chin. A faint whisper broke the silence of the cell. "Can you hear that?"

"Hear what Alina?" I muttered back. The sheets rustled below me and her small face appeared next to my bed. 

"The footsteps..." I looked over at her worried face and chuckled.

"It's probably someone in the next cell." She nodded and sat down on her bunk. That's when I heard them. The faint slap of footsteps running across the platform and echoing off the stone walls. I sat up and pushed my hair out of my face. 'Those sure didn't sound like they came from a cell.' I thought to myself. "Maybe someone got locked out." I whispered before I hopped of my bunk and landed on the cold cement floor.

"How would they get locked out?" Alina asked pulled her knees up to her chest. I shrugged and stepped closer to the bars. The platform in front of me was empty. I squinted into the darkness and looked around. The footsteps echoed off the walls closer to me and I turned my head. Two silver dots glowed in the air about three feet from the cell. I gasped and stepped back. Suddenly the shape flew at the door. It hit with a crack and bent to bars. Alina screamed as the thing flung itself against the bars again and again, trying to reach us. Lights blazed to life and I heard a couple Blacksuits shout and run up the stairs. "What is that!?!" Alina squealed.

"I-I don't know." I whispered letting out a shuttering breath. The creature in front of me was slightly smaller than a Blacksuit. It's muscles bulged under its deformed skin in strange places. It's jaw hung crookedly from its face and one of its arms was smaller than the other. It's eyes were sunken into its head slightly and it foamed at the mouth. It crashed into the bars again.  A Blacksuit ran up to my cell and kicked the creature to the side before shooting it in the head a few times. The creature landed face first in front of me. That's when it registered that it or he was wearing a prison uniform. I gasped and stumbled backwards onto the floor. Then, as his shirt slipped off of his shoulder, a small skull tattoo appeared on his shoulder blade. The Blacksuit kicked the thing again and then called down to the guards on the ground floor.

"Open H56!" The bars of my cell squeaked and groaned as the gears tried to open with the bent bars. I scooted backwards and stood in front of Alina. The Blacksuit grinned and grabbed the bars. The bars screeched as he bent them back into place then slammed open the rest of the way. "You okay?" I nodded and he laughed. "Dang, close H56!" He stepped back and the bars slammed close again. The guard grabbed the creature by the shirt and tossed him over his shoulder then disappeared down the stairs again. The lights buzzed and then shut off. I ran up to the bars and looked down at the guards but without the lights I couldn't see anything. I turned and sat down next to Alina's bunk.

"We're fine. Get some sleep." Alina nodded and laid down. I pulled my knees up to my chest and closed my eyes.