Chapter Four

**If you didn’t read the last chapter Melody and Christian were framed for the murder of Melody’s parents and sister and now they are running from the cops. This is because they are in a gang and both of their finger prints were on the murder weapon.**

            Cold air stung my eyes as we raced down the street and I shook violently. Christian was silently praying and we ran down the road to Kevin’s house. The lights were off when we got there. “Great. He went out.” Christian muttered, shaking. We hurried up the front stepped and stopped under the shade of the porch. Christian collapsed on the steps and stared at the ground. I collapsed on the cold ground, choking back a scream, and crying hysterically. My heart pounded in my chest and my hands shook violently. After sitting there for a minute I remembered I had a key to Kevin’s house in my pocket. I wiped my face and pulled my key out of my pocket. Carefully, I walked up the steps and to the front door but when I looked up I froze, a chill spread over my body and I choked on my words. Carved into the door was writing.

Don’t stop now Melody

            “C-C-Christian.” He snapped his head up and looked over at me. I heard him suck his breath in as he saw the words. “What do we do?” I sputtered, spinning around and burying my head in his chest. He wrapped his arms around me and stared at the door. Then a sound rose in the distance that makes any gang member freeze. Sirens. I looked up and Christian turned around. Bright red and blue lights flashed through the branches of the tree. Christian grabbed my arm and pulled me towards the ground. We quickly ducked out of the way of the lights and pressed our backs against the fence that surrounds the porch. Luckily I was too scared of being caught to cry anymore. I gritted my teeth and looked at Christian. “Think they’ll find us.” He shot a worried look at me.

            “I don’t think so…” He looked over his shoulder and cursed. “There getting closer.” I whimpered and looked at the lights.

            “Christian if they catch us-” He cut me off and glared.

            “They won’t.” I nodded.

            “But if they do, we will go to the Furnace won’t we.” My voice caught as I finished my sentence. He nodded and his eyes widened. “What?” I spun around, peering into the darkness. The lights had changed direction. They had turned down Kevin’s driveway. My breath caught in my throat and I froze. Christian stood up and motioned for me to follow, but I didn’t. I just stared at the approaching lights. Christian grabbed my arm and dragged me to my feet. I didn’t realize it but we were running. Tree branches whipped my face and sirens were getting louder behind us. I stumbled out of the dark forest and onto the street, Christian following close behind. Even with my blurred vision though, I could see them. Cop cars littered the street and cops had surrounded us, guns ready to fire. Christian went to run but an officer shot a warning shot at the ground in front of him. He glared at them and pushed me behind him as they closed in. A branch cracked behind me and the butt of a rifle came into contact with my head. Knocking me clean out.

            When I woke I was laying on a hard cot inside a jail cell. The back of my head throbbed and I stood up carefully. Christian was sitting in the cell across from me staring at the wall. “Christian?” I whispered, grabbing onto my bar. He looked up at me. His eyes were blood shot and he had cuffs on. “What’s going on?” He just shook his head and stared at the ground.

            “It’s over Mel, they caught us.” My eyes widened and I slumped to the ground.

            “B-but we didn’t do anything.” He scoffed and shook his head.