Back Against the Wall

Author's POV:
Laurent sat in the passenger seat of his friend Steve's car. The moment they made an exit off the highway, police flashed their lights.

"Oh, damn." Steve huffed as he pulled over.
"Was you speeding?" Laurent asked.
"No, just stay calm. I'll handle this." Steve whispered.

Steve pulled over to the side of the road. The officer approached the driver side and asked,

"May I see your drivers license and registration please?"
"Sure. What's the problem officer?" Steve said as he gave the officer all the information.
"This car was reported stolen." The officer replied.
"What?" Laurent said.
"That's gotta be a mistake. This is my car." Steve added.
"Step out of the car." The officer said.
"Officer, this is my car!" Steve yelled.
"GET OUT OF THE CAR NOW!" The officer demanded.

Steve looked at Laurent with a serious expression on his face. Steve stepped out of the car. When Laurent attempted to get out of the car, the officer yelled,

"Get back in the car!"

Laurent quickly got back in the car. Suddenly, Laurent heard a loud gunshot that made him jump. Laurent jumped out the car and ran to see Steve was on the ground. Steve was groaning in pain as he held his core. Laurent dropped to his knees and held Steve. Laurent removed Steve's arm to see he had been shot.

"What happened you? Tell me what happened?" Laurent cried out.
"He shot me." Steve repeatedly said.

Steve's eyes slowly closed. Laurent shook Steve as he realized he was unresponsive. Laurent stood up, covered in Steve's blood.

"What did you do?" Laurent yelled as he stood before the officer.

The officer called for back up immediately. The officer demanded Laurent to lay down on the ground. Laurent refused to do so. Filled with rage, Laurent tackled the officer. As they fought, two more police officers arrived and arrested Laurent.

While Laurent went in for questioning, he glanced at the tv and saw the news. The news reported stated,

"A young African American male named Steve Morrison was shot by a police officer. Officers stated that Steve refused to follow commands and attacked them. The passenger was arrested for physical assault towards an officer. Steve was sent to the hospital. He died due to internal bleeding."

Laurent shook his head. The case went to trial. The officer was pleaded guilty and was sentenced to ten years in jail. However, Laurent was sentenced to five years in a New York State penitentiary for his charges. Laurent was a good man. Never been in trouble with the law. Had a drug free relationship with his girlfriend, Tia. Now, Laurent's almost perfect world was crashing down. And there was nothing Laurent could do about it.

Laurent entered the cafeteria; trying his best to hide his fear. The entire room was segregated by race. Laurent didn't want any trouble. As Laurent searched for a space to sit, a man glanced at Laurent from across the room. The man tapped the man next to him and asked,

"Ain't that your brother?"
"Yeah that's him. Signal him over here." Larry said.

The man signaled Laurent to come to the table they were at. But Laurent didn't get up from where he was at.

"Bring that nigga here." Larry demanded.

The man got up and made his way over to Laurent. The man kneeled over Laurent's shoulder and whispered,

"Blaze wants to talk to you."
"Who's Blaze?" Laurent confusingly asked.

The man pointed over to Larry. Laurent rolled his eyes and said,